PDA

View Full Version : Drawing off on cross flow pans

Three Maples
12-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Last year I purchased cross flow pans and I have this problem. I find the pans want to make syrup in the middle of the last flue, these are reverse flow and it has the problem in both directions. Once I tease the sweet to the draw off it will work fine the rest of the boil. It is the initial draw that is the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The arch is an old leader 31/2 x 9 wood, boils great adapted for raised flue.

nymapleguy607
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like your not pulling enough sweet off when you shut down at night and its back mixing through the pan. When you start the next day the entire pan is close to syrup and the middle of the pan heats up first allowing that to get to syrup faster than the end near the draw off. I would try pulling off a bit more sweet at night then when you restart and the front pan starts to boil add the sweet back in through the side that your drawing off on so it will push the lighter density syrup back to the middle and you have your heavier sweet around the draw off.

wiam
12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Sounds like your not pulling enough sweet off when you shut down at night and its back mixing through the pan. When you start the next day the entire pan is close to syrup and the middle of the pan heats up first allowing that to get to syrup faster than the end near the draw off. I would try pulling off a bit more sweet at night then when you restart and the front pan starts to boil add the sweet back in through the side that your drawing off on so it will push the lighter density syrup back to the middle and you have your heavier sweet around the draw off.

This is good info. I will go further and say I know some that pull 2-3 smaller pails instead of one big one. Keep them in order and pour them back in in reverse order of draw.

Timberwolf
12-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Based on information I got in Boiling 101 at LEME you might want to try using defoamer starting near draw off and working all the way back to float box. Knocking down the foam allows more sweet to move forward faster instead of getting backed up. From what I understand this helps establish the proper gradient faster and will lead to an earlier and smaller first draw off which should reduce your issue. Most of the experts recommend smaller and more frequent draw offs, which this method will help achieve.

If you want further information I think I have more details in my notes.

maplecrest
12-21-2012, 06:41 AM
On my cross flows i have 3 thermometers on pan one where comes in from flue ,one in center, and draw off. I have a 3 degree difference from pan next to flue and finish draw pan. I defoamer and start draw early and as the heavier syrup comes off it balances off density.

Three Maples
12-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I did pull off one pail and put it back in the syrup flue. I did not heat the arch first and when i did pull off more than one i did not think about order. Thanks Three Maples

millscrest
12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Timberwolf, thanks for the information. I tried looking at you notes but could not find them. Where could I find them? Thanks.

nymapleguy607
12-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Looking at Leader's book they recommend drawing off 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 gallons of sweet. They also say to add the sweet back into the syrup compartment when there is a light boil.

lmathews
12-22-2012, 07:35 AM
I have a 3x12 cross flow set up.I have 2 syrup pans and at the end of the night I flood the pans with extra sap and put a plug between the 2 pans to prevent back mixing.Usually the Next day when I start up I am at my running depth do to the continued evaporation on cool down.Next day at start up and when it gets up in temp pull the plug.

heus
12-22-2012, 08:05 AM
On my former 2x6 crossflow, I always drew off 1 quart of sweet at shutdown then added it back at the drawoff the next boil at 200 degrees.

adk1
12-22-2012, 08:16 AM
On my former 2x6 crossflow, I always drew off 1 quart of sweet at shutdown then added it back at the drawoff the next boil at 200 degrees.

although mine is not a cross flow, that is about what I draw off on my 2x6..Dont want to draw off too much I guess and add too much back from what I was told

Timberwolf
12-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Timberwolf, thanks for the information. I tried looking at you notes but could not find them. Where could I find them? Thanks.

I had not posted them. Here they are, hope you can read my writing.6119

Three Maples
12-30-2012, 01:50 PM
;)Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the common thread is to draw off and put back in when the boil starts. I will try soon, well in a coulpe months or so. Thanks, Three Maples