PDA

View Full Version : Custom built from Quebec?

Winton
04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Has anyone bought or seen evaporators made by Patrick Phaneuf in Quebec? He lists them on ebay and they're very tempting, but I'd really like to see one or talk to people who have used them before taking the leap. Thanks.

Fred Henderson
04-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I have seen them on ebay and was going to call him. It says that he will delivey them. I would be most interested in his price for a 3x8 drop flue.

forester1
04-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I bought a filter canner from him on ebay and it was very good quality. Equal or better than the name brands. Good welding and fit and finishing on it. Haven't seen the evaporators.

Flatfoot95
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Fred I have contacted him for prices and will be asking for references to see some of his products. I would go directly to him but about 250 miles from here..if you are intrested I will let you know when I hear from him. I like the idea of lifetime warranty and 24hr full service.

Fred Henderson
04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey Flat, Thanks for thinking of me, if its 250 clicks for you then is about 200 for me. The lifetime warrenty and 24 hour service is only good if it actually happens.Keep me posted.

Teuchtar
04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I also bought a finishing tank from Patrick last year. Workmanship and price were both good.
He also quoted me a good price on flue pan, although I did not pursue that.
I recommend his work

Flatfoot95
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I sent Patrick a few emails. He says $4500 for a 3x8 drop flue deluxe package. That package includes bight stainless(arch, pans and stack), 12' stainless stack, stainless stack base, roof jack, cover, float boxes, thermometer,drain valves and all fittings. He also reassures me that service and warranty will not be a problem. Have to admit sounds awfull tempting.

Fred Henderson
04-15-2006, 03:13 AM
Hi Flatfoot, Wow 4500 bucks for a 3x8 and all that goes with it. Would you please send me his email address because I want to talk with him. You and I could rent a u-haul or take my truck and trailer and go get 2 of them, or better yet have him deliver 2 to one of us that way he only has to make one stop.

Fred

LincolnWoodsLager
04-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Fred and Flatfoot,

Could you let me know how your dealings with Patrick go? I am very interested in buying a new 2x6 and looked at the dealers at VT maple festival this weekend and Bascoms last week. His ebay pictures look very nice and features + all stainless - wow on the price. Really need to see in person. Says hes coming to Vermont to deliver one in a few weeks - plan to see it. Will let you know.

Thanks for your advice.

20 taps, propane burners, turkey pots in 06
50-100+, evaporator and a sugar house! in 07

Sean

Fred Henderson
05-01-2006, 04:29 AM
He is going to build be a 3x8 drop flue reverse flow just as soon as he and I get all the details worked out. Normally he builds a cross flow. I am older and don't want the hassel of switching pans in the morning to reverse flow. So far he has been a super good guy to deal with and willing to go the extra steps to help me get what I want.

JimW
05-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I ordered some buckets and lids from him this past fall, great service and great packaging.

We have ordered a small 2' by 3' backyarder evaporator from Patrick for our school course. If everything goes as planned it is being delivered on May 12th. I'll let everyone know how it looks when we get it.

Jim

Mike
05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
If you buy from canada and you pick it up, Customs will probally ask you if its for a buisness...........I tell em personal use only..... 8)

NH Maplemaker
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
How do you get a hold of this Patrick fellow?? Need a new pan! Jim L.

forester1
05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Go on ebay and look for stainless 16g is his sellers name. He has an evaporator and a pan as well as a canning tank for sale now. Search under maple syrup. He has his email, phone, address etc under each item he has for sale.

NH Maplemaker
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks Jerry!! Found him with no problem :P Jim L.

rschoo
09-17-2006, 12:43 PM
hey guys it's been awhile since any of you posted about patrick's equipment. I am also considering a 2x6 raised flu from him. He quoted me a delivered price to central Michigan of $3500. What are your impressions as to quality and has anyone done a test boil?

cncaboose
09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Fred Henderson and I are both getting 3x8 drop flue reverse flow evaporators from Patrick, due to arrive here in 2 weeks. He is including stainless arch, stack, roof jack, and stack cover delivered to Northern NY for $4900. He includes all the little extras like floats, valves, dial thermometers, etc. I am also getting a filter canner unit from him. He is very good at communicating via email and sent us several photos of his work prior to our orders. We can give you a further review after delivery, though it will be a while before we do a test firing. I am in the midst of building a 20x20 sugarhouse for it to live in. I'm hoping to have the roof up before Patrick gets here. I finished framing the walls today. Rafters and roof vent are next so I've got a good shot.

Fred Henderson
09-17-2006, 08:06 PM
I am also getting a filter canning unit, LP gas fired from him.

royalmaple
09-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Fred-

How much was he getting for a canning unit?

Fred Henderson
09-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I am not sure but I think around $450. It will hold about 8 gals, 16"x16". When I decided that I wanted one I just emailed him and told him to bring one along. That I also want and extra length of stack. I ask how much more money he required as down payment and he said that I could pay the whole thing when he delivered the evap. :D

royalmaple
09-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks, let us know how things go.

cncaboose
09-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Patrick's price for the canner is $450, at least at the beginning of the summer. He said the total capacity is about 10 gallons, though you wouldn't want to try to heat more than one or two gallons at once. That price includes stainless pans and cover, all the fittings and valve, filter rack, 65,000BTU propane purner, stainless stand with adjustable height filling table, propane bottle support, thermometer fitting. It wasn't entirely clear to me if the thermometer is included, as it is for the evaporator.

ibby458
09-19-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm really looking forward to getting my new base stack from him. His price for a 6' base stack was about half what the big guys charge, plus free delivery when he delivers Fred & Ian's evaporators.

ibby458
09-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Sure wish Patrick would honor one of the promised delivery dates. I'm starting to think it's a good thing that I didn't scrap my old rusty base stack after all. I might need it, if the new one don't get here by sugaring!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-30-2006, 06:02 PM
It's only Sept. 8O

JimW
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Hopefully, everything work out for you guys. We got a small evaporator from Patrick in the spring for school, it looks great. Hopefully we'll brick the firebox in the next couple weeks.

Jim

ibby458
10-01-2006, 05:33 AM
Oh - I know I got plenty of time, but it still seems to me that 4 months of broken promises is plenty. A few weeks or a month, I could understand, but 4 months late?? It seems like other work must be getting put ahead of ours. I could see it if a stack was all he's delivering, but 2 evaporators, 2 canning units and a stack OUGHT to be worth his time to get done as promised.

Fred Henderson
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
The bad part about get my evaporater later is that mortor does not set well in freezing weather and I have no means to put heat in the sugar shack.

Parker
10-05-2006, 09:24 AM
It is not as good as doing it the summer but I bricked up my arch in febuary (cold here) ,,,I covered the arch with roofing tin and put 3 MR.HEATERS in it till the tanks ran out of fuel,,seems to have worked,,,,Good Luck

Fred Henderson
10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Parker, When I had my old one bricked a friend did it for me. This guy had worked for Alcoa and had done many big heat treat furances. He used what he called fire clay. He mixed up a slurry in the wheelbarrow and totally submerged the brick and then set it in place. When I took it apart this spring it was almost like the brick had been mortored in.

ibby458
10-22-2006, 06:07 AM
Wow - That's all I can say. My stack is so perfect it's almost scary pretty. I won't brag on Fred's evaporator, but I will say I drooled all over it as they set it up, and I'll be ordering one in a few years.

Fred Henderson
10-22-2006, 07:04 AM
My evaporator arrived last night about 8 PM. The man was lost so I had to round him up. This guy (the owner) of the company is only 29 year old, and I must say a very nice young man. I was a welder during my work career so I know what SS welds should look like and they are perfect in every way. It was a long wait but well worth it even though I would like to have had it earlyer. Now we are into hunting season here, so the deer will be safe while I am setting it up.

JimW
10-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Good to hear you finally got your equipment. Hopefully I'll have our school evaporator we got from Patrick last spring set up soon.

Jim