PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Tank? For a Surge SP11

unc23win
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I have a Surge SP11 I picked up for free and the tank is all rusted out. I have heard of people building tanks or boosters whichever term you prefer out of pvc pipe to replace the tanks and then plumbing them in between the pump and the extractor. How big should this be? Bigger the better? How much can be gained?

Thanks

mapleack
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
You don't have to have any tank at all. The only thing you really need is a moisture trap. You can build one out of a house water filter with a raquet ball inside. The only reason a "booster" tank would be beneficial would be in creating a reservoir of vacuum near the releaser to cushion any drop in vacuum level when the releaser dumps. Don't fret about the rusted out tank with the pump, just eliminate it.

Dennis H.
12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
My tank was the same way when I picked up my Sp11 at an auction, Theres a funny story to how I found it was rusted out.

I ended up repairing it. Ground and cut out the rusted parts and welded some new sheet metal over the holes.

But really you don't need the tank. Just use it as a stand for the pump. One benefit to having the tank is it acts as a last defense for keeping sap out of the pump.

unc23win
12-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the help. How much vacuum can I expect from the SP 11? I am thinking about doing a wet dry line system.

mapleack
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
So long as your system is tight without more taps than it can handle you can easilly run 22" with that pump. You'll want a vacuum regulator to set so you don't run too high and overheat the pump.

unc23win
12-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I would be happy with any vacuum level consistantly above 15 for this year. My my system at the oldest part is 5 years old all assembled with tubing tools I check it close each year to make sure its tight.

I found a brochure for the SP-II online and it says it is rated for 10 CFM at 475 RPMs. I had found other information saying it was rated for more RPMs I think 1100 so I am not sure about a motor yet. I also have a moisture trap and a regulator for the vacuum.

Anyhow how much will a wet dry line system help the vacuum in CFMs? Given the formula 1 CFM = 100 taps I could get 1000 taps. Does a wet dry line system boost the CFM or not?

Dennis H.
12-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Can't help with the wet/dry question but I will tell you that those little piston pumps can pull some good vac.

They can pull 22-24" of vac all day long. I agree that a vac regulator is a must with these pumps. Just the little cold air being pulled in by the vac reg will help alot in cooling the pump.
I had a SP22 up until this year and I ran that at 23" all the time and I could put my hand on top of the pump head and not burn my hand.

unc23win
12-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Yea it deosn't seem to run too hot. I was wondering if I should put an exhaust pipe on it and run the exhaust out of the shed?

mapleack
12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Unc, the brochure you found was giving new zealand ratings, which are double US ratings The SP11 is actually 5 cfm at 15". A wet / dry system transfers vacuum farther back the system. In a wet line only system the tree gas and any leak air that is being evacuated by the pump must fight for room with sap and extra friction against sap, reducing the effective cfm and vacuum level toward the end of your tubing system. By running a dry line above and connecting into the wet line at every lateral main line you effecively "jump" over the restiction of the sap filled wet line, allowing more air/ gas to be removed and raising your vac level. If you describe your existing or planned tubing system in more detail I'm sure members with more vac experience than me will be glad to give you pointers. You should defintely put your vaccuum exhaust outside the shed, you will get some oil residue coming out of it so put it somewhere you don't mind a little oil. Be cautious of not making the exhaust too long or you will create back pressure on the pump causing it to run hotter.

unc23win
12-20-2012, 10:00 AM
How do you know its New Zealand? I found it yesterday it actually was pages someone scanned then uploaded its not the entire brochure only a few pages.

Bucket Head
12-20-2012, 04:41 PM
This is right out of a Surge manual; The SP11 delivers 5 CFM Free Air at 15" vacuum with a .85 H.P. motor. R.P.M's of the pump with a .85 H.P. motor are approx. 475. Three and a half inch diameter pully on the electric motor.

Do not turn that pump at 1000 rpm! Some guys go a little higher and claim no trouble, but I would stick to what its designed for. At 475 rpm you'll have a nice pump for years to come. Higher than that and you'll have a nice boat anchor for years to come.

Steve