PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sugar Crystals in Syrup?

Banjo
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
For some of my earlier batches this year I thought I was making the syrup "thin", but it turned out to be 71-72% sugar. Some of these jars/bottles now have sugar crystals in the bottom. If I re-heat these and thin it down will the sugar crystals dissolve back, or are they permanent?

I thought I'd seen something about this here, but couldn't find it searching. So appologies in advance if this is a FAQ type thing :oops:

cheers, Andrew

ibby458
04-11-2006, 04:30 AM
This happened to us the first year we sugared and had no idea how to tell when it was done.

We had put the syrup up in quart canning jars. We dumped the syrup into a turkey fryer pot, and the sugar stuck in the jars. To get it out, we put water in each jar, and microwaved it for a minute or so, swishing it around and dumping it in the next jar.

Once the jars were clear of hard sugar, add the water to the syrup, heat it up and adjust density, then re-can it.

Banjo
04-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks, was just what I thought, plus great tips. Will have a go at it ... bonus is more syrup :D :D .

I think it's time to shell out for a hydrometer for the syrup. Mine (from wine making days) only goes to 40%. Seeing as how it's all I have, what I did yesterday is do a measurement while it's still in range of the hydrometer (remembering to correct for temperature). Then I'd measure the depth of the syrup in the pan (straight sided pot on the stove) using one of those cheap plastic vernier calipers. I could then calculate what the finished depth should be and just measured when I got close. Not perfect, but got me closer.

FWIW, Andrew

maple flats
04-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Actually that meathod should work very well if the reading you started with was exact, the measurements were exact, and the math was exact. Much easier to a hydrometer or a very accurate thermometer. However an old true master sugar maker could get it right just with a scoop, fill it from the evap. and dump it back in, if ready it would fall from the scoop forming a sheet as it fell BUT as often as I try this I haven't gotten it yet.

brookledge
04-12-2006, 05:40 PM
If you don't have a hydrometer, your better off having it crystalize alittle bit then having it to thin and having it ferment. Or if you have a good thermometer and a barometer you can boil it to the proper boiling point based on the barometric pressure.
Keith

Banjo
04-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks again.

I picked up a syrup hydrometer yesterday, so now I should be in better shape.

Also tried to be much more diligent with a thermometer after the first batches. Still only had the dial ones so +/- 1°F is a bit on the limit (but they are food grade, "instant read" ones and I did calibrate the boiling point as best I could as I got more into it). I also tried my little multimeter with the thermocouple temp sensor (only $10 or so). Was OK, and very fast to respond, but resolution was only to even degree C, so a bit coarse.

I have a little maple syrup book where she talks about the syrup coming off the spoon in two streams when it's ready. I've been darned if I can figure that out. Seeing as how it had never happened was one thing that was causing me to think I was still too thin.

I'm going to have a go at re-boiling some syrup likely on the weekend.

thanks again, Andrew

Rob Harvey
04-13-2006, 03:35 AM
You dont have to reboil it. Thin it until it is right using the cold test line. Reheat to over 185 but less than 200 and can it. If you make it boil you will need to refilter it. Rob

Banjo
04-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Rob,
thanks for that clarification. I was beeing a bit loose in the term "boil" perhaps, but it's a real bonus if I don't have to re-filter (being at the small end of things it breaks my heart with the stuff you lose in the filter ... worth it though for the increase in syrup quality I keep telling myself :lol: ).

I'll work it out, might even try using the electric coffee urn ... we *should* have two, wonder if I can find either :lol: .

BTW, on my new syrup hydrometer (has Waterloo on the sticker on the box, made in Japan, French writing) it has a cold ("Sirop Froid") line at 66 and a hot ("Sirop Chaud") line at 59. The only temperature listed on it is "TP68°F" which I assume is the cold one, does anyone know what the hot temperature is?

Thanks again everyone.

cheers, Andrew

Maplebee
04-13-2006, 08:27 AM
211 deg.F thats what it says on mine!
we like the sugar crystals.
had one the size of a golf ball in one jar.

cheesegenie
04-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Banjo, about that little book, did you say SHE?

Banjo
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
The little book is called "Sugartime", subtitle "The Hidden Pleasures of Making Maple Syrup with a Primer for the Novice Sugarer". It's by Susan Carol Hauser. They tap about 20 trees in Minnesota. Published in '98.

It's more of a story than a manual, but it's a nice read. I think I received it for Christmas a few years back.

HTH, Andrew

PS. Was just looking at the pictures of your rig, looks good. I'd be interested in talking with you about it as part of my pondering of what to do for next year. Perhaps PM if that's OK?