PDA

View Full Version : I realize that we typically tap in Jan to early Feb

ericjeeper
12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
But I am seeing sap running in the woods.. Weather forecast is spot on for the next week. I am going to tap with 5/16 and run my tubing this week.. I figure the worst case scenario is it will get colder than a well diggers arse and freeze up tight.. if it does, that is fine.. Then I can at least go ice fishing.
I will probably put out around 100 taps and see how they do. Wish me luck.

Greenwich Maple Man
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
I just googled the winter weather for 2013 -2012. Looked at one page by Mike Mosco I believe was the name. Sounds like a repeat of last year. I really hope this weather gets cold and normal. We don't need another winter like last season.

can'twaitforabigrun
12-17-2012, 11:39 PM
If I were you I would wait until the second week of January at the earliest. January is going to be mighty cold, especially in the central part of the country where you are. If you are on vacuum, it may be ok , but if not you should really wait. The tap hole may freeze out even if you are on vacuum. Here is the temp. anomaly going into January from meteorologist Joe Bastardi: http://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/280879619425579009/photo/1

rchase
12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
wasnt joe bastardi calling for a cold winter last year just like he is this year? that didnt pan out for him last year.

ericjeeper
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
2 years ago on this date I was drilling holes through six inches of ice, and fishing..Last year we never had safe ice. I tapped a few trees today. The sap should be flowing Friday and out.Calling for 20s at night and mid 30s during the day. I am not a huge fan of weather forecasters.. Only occupation that I have ever known to be wrong so much, and not be fired. lol

ericjeeper
12-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Made six pints of syrup today. Basically just wanted to sweeten the pan and test the new evaporator.

Gandolf
02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Eric,

So how are things going?

Some of my first tubing runs and taps have started shutting down. I am currently swapping taps and bags around to as of yet untapped trees. I have 126 taps and have made a little over 16 gallons of syrup. Not bad for a half-pint evaporator.

Phil....

ericjeeper
02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I have not boiled in a few days. I have 100 gallons sitting out there to be boiled.Plus I am sure the barrels in the woods and sacks are holding a good supply. I made six gallons of hickory syrup yesterday, as I have sold out of it. I am not sure how many gallons of Maple I have made. But I have7 gallons sitting on the table ready to be sold. I have 35 pints to take to Florida, that will pay for my fuel down.lol