PDA

View Full Version : New cinder block evaporator

Tithis
12-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Just got back from building my arch at my grandfathers this year.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/Tithis/P1030102.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/Tithis/P1030105.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/Tithis/P1030104.jpg

Biggest charge from last year is using 3 pans instead of 1. Doing this gave me a whole lot more room inside and I figured I would attempt at doing an actual arch, especially with all the extra bricks my grandfather had. I never really looked much up on them and I'm not really sure I did it right in terms of how big it is vs the firebox and how much space there is between it and the pans. If anyone has any suggestions for me on that or some recommendations I'd really appreciate it.

ericjeeper
12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
get yourself a fan to boost the heat.

Ausable
12-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Tithus - Looking at what You put together - it will probably work. One thing with being a Backyarder - we are always experimenting. Looks like You are on the right track. I would suggest that You would raise your grates up to set on top of full size cement blocks by adding another level of blocks. This way you will get better air circulation under your fire for a hotter fire and also make it easier to remove wood ash that will build up under the grate. Restaurant Steam Table Pans come in handy and are sometimes hard to find - so when you upgrade in time and you will - hold on to them. I use one to finish my syrup on top of a turkey fryer burner - even have a draw off valve on it. If you have a problem with draft add a larger diameter stack - With the arch you have I would make the stack 4 to 6 foot high - makes for a better draft, keeps the smoke out of you face and keeps some of the debris out of your syrup. Some kind of a door across the front might help too - that way the combustion air is pulled into the arch at the ash cleanout area - which you can leave open and you won't have hot sparks coming out from the arch - where you add wood - at you. Looks like You are batch boiling - with three pans instead of one - which is ok---or do you have something else in mind? On the metal shelf you have on the arch - you could put a couple of pots on it and use them for a sap preheater. ----Hey - best of luck ----Mike---

MapleLady
01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi there! Your arch looks good! I have a similar design, using 3 steam table pans. A couple things I found helped with my arch..... I use an old piece of sheet metal across the front of the arch opening. I slide it to the side to add wood and also to control my draft. I also sealed the cracks between the blocks with fireplace sealant. I found that I was able to control my fire better and seemed to have a hotter fire under my pans. Also covered the open tops of my blocks with sheet metal (actually some rolled flashing that I had on hand - not expensive) I found that these little changes improved my arch. Hope this helps.