PDA

View Full Version : Largest Maple tree?

Sugar-me-Timbers
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I am curious. What is the largest sugar maple ever? What is the largest sugar maple today? pictures?

Phil

maple maniac65
12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
located in NH

By Richard Adams

Rockingham County Coordinator, NH Big Tree Team

November 06, 2008 4:40 PM

The largest known sugar maple tree in New Hampshire towers over a farmhouse on Drinkwater Road in Exeter. Standing 102 feet tall, with a girth of almost 19 feet, it’s believed to be at least as old as the United States.

The magnificent specimen flanks the front door of a farmhouse that dates from 1733. Owner Janet Buxton believes the tree was planted about the time the house was enlarged in the 1780s. A companion sugar maple stands on the opposite corner of the house and was probably planted at the same time. While huge, it isn’t as massive as its mate, probably owing to the fact it never received quite as much sunlight.

One of the lower limbs of the champion tree has a circumference exceeding that of many mature street trees. But it is its enormous trunk and expansive crown, particularly striking in autumn foliage, that cause passers-by in great numbers to stop and gasp in awe of such a marvel of nature.

The Buxtons have resided in the house since 1953 and have an extensive collection of photographs of the tree covering the ensuing half-century. Even in that span of years, covering only about one-quarter of its life, the maple grew considerably. For instance, a swing that hung between it and the house in the 1950s couldn’t possibly fit in the available space today.

red maples
12-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I live about 10-15 minutes from there I will have to take a ride over there. I can honestly say we have some monsters around here. The pure size of them are just awe-some. sad to see so many in such serious decline over the past few years due reciently paved roads in the past 10-15 years that were never paved before and the use of road chemicals. There are so many things streesing the trees as of late both natural and man.

I have a monster right across the street that I tap although its has extensive die back now and lost a branch in sandy that was over 36 inches in diameter the main trunk is over 14 ft or just about 4.5 feet across. its tagged to come down cutting up that monster branch was pretty much the nail in the coffin for my old saw. and a PITA to split because it has been cut so much over the years. I hope I can get all the wood from it and I can get a couple of nice slices to to finish and hang in the sugar house. my older neighbors used to tap it as a kids some 50-60+ years ago and they used to fight over who would tap it because it gave the most and sweetest sap in the neighborhood. Sad to see them go. Also if you drive in the back streets of Exeter there are some of the biggest red maples some 3-4 feet in diameter. There are a few sugarmaples in in east kingston (my town) that is an old farm that is about 5+ feet in diameter. and still going strong. I wanna measure it to see right next door there is another one in the middel of a cemetary( so it gets extra fertizer :P )both are more 50 to 100 feet off the road so they are fairing much better than the road sides. I assume when they say 19 ft they mean Circumference??!!! I have go do some measurements :)

I just did a quick search and they say that that maple in Exeter is the largest in NH. Now there were 2 other ones that say they are bigger one in Conn. which the story was in 2000 so that one could be long gone. and the nations biggest sugar maple is in Western Mass some where. that story was from 2008 and in the same article about the buxton maple.

I like this stuff did another search check it out http://www.americanforests.org/our-programs/bigtree/ lists of all big trees across the country pretty cool they have 2 listed for sugar maples one in new london CT and one in Mass the one in mass is bigger. and measures 19.41 feet.

Maple Hill
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a picture dated 1993 of a sugar maple tree that is in Norwich CT. It says that it is more than 23 feet around and is shown with a stone wall thru the middle of it. Dont know if it is still there but looks healthy in the picture. my largest one is just over 14ft and still in good shape.

Beweller
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Google "American Forests Big Trees". The official biggest sugar maple is currently 219 in circumference and 123 ft tall.

spud
07-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I was just out walking on my new property and noticed I have two monster sugar maple trees. I measured both trees at the 5 foot mark and one was 200 inches and the other was 185 inches. They might be a little bigger but I was alone while measuring. I plan to go back with the wife once she gets some free time. I plan to put 30 buckets on the big one and 20 on the smaller one:o.

Spud

spud
07-26-2013, 05:29 AM
At what height am I supposed to measure at? Some say 4 feet and some say 5 feet. If it's 4 feet then the tree should measure a bit larger. There must be an official height to measure at. Thanks

Spud

DrTimPerkins
07-26-2013, 08:22 AM
At what height am I supposed to measure at? Some say 4 feet and some say 5 feet.

Diameter at breast height is measured at 4.5' (4' 6") above the ground, typically from the uphill side. There are lots of little rules about what to do if the tree is forked above, or below that height, or if there are deformities of different types.

spud
07-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks Doc for the information. I plan to remeasure the trees tomorrow. It's possible they are a little bigger.

Spud

spud
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I measured the tree again today at the 4.5 height. I came up with 204 inches. Another tree not far from it was remeasured today and that was 175 inches. There not anywhere near the record but they are nice to look at.

Spud

Kris
10-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Hello Doc, you seem to be the best person to ask: I have a 3 fork (?) sugar with a circumference of about 19' at chest height, which is also about the same height at which the 3 'tines' separate. I'm worried about the rain and snow that builds up inside the junction, as experience with other trees has proven that it eventually deteriorates at that point, weakens the tree, and eventually, one of the 'tines' falls. I'd like to seal it off to prevent further rain and snow damage, but not sure what the best course of action would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kris.
S.E. Mich.

Father & Son
10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Maple Hill,
That tree in Norwich, CT. is gone. It was taken down quit a few years back. My in-laws live just outside of Norwich and I have visited the site. There now is a plaque that gives the information about the tree.

Jim