PDA

View Full Version : Pressure wash flue pan ?

getting started
12-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Anybody ever wash the underside of a flue pan with a pressure washer ? Some say you should not , but why? Have a stainless flue pan 3years old but would like to get off some of the build up that the flue brush dosen't take off . What's your thought on this ?

farmall h
12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Getting started, If your pan is welded I do not see why it would hurt it. On the other hand if it is English Tin (which I doubt it is being that young) than pressure washing may cause the soldered joints to leak.

jmayerl
12-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I pressure wash my 2x4 pan inside and out. I get a few inches away and Wear a full face shield and a rain suit.

adk1
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
How much build up are we talking here? When I bought my evap last year, the prior owners never really did much to the flues other than brush them alittle. When I got it, there was allot of buildup on them..so I took some EZ Off oven cleaner and sprayed the entire flue area and let that soak for awhile. I then used a paint sturer stick that I had and started to scrape off the creosote build up. When I was done, I had removed 90% of it I would say..Was much more efficient when I used it that is for sure.

Did the same thing this spring when I put it away, although was easy this time.

halladaymaple
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
If you burn with wood clean the backside of the flue pan every year, otherwise the creosote buildup will eventually insulate the bottom of your flue pan causing you to reduce effeciency and possibly burn your front pans. If you haven't cleaned it before it will require some elbow grease and chemicals. Keep it cleaned every year after. If you burn with oil and light scrubing with scour pad and pressure wash should do it. Either one a pressure washer used properly will assist in the cleaning

NH Maplemaker
12-11-2012, 07:07 AM
I have pressure washed all my stainless steel pans every year since new (2002). Soak and srub frist and then remove and pressure wash. Never seen a problem. They are welded pans

nymapleguy607
12-11-2012, 07:16 AM
If its newer equipment you should be okay to clean it. If you use and acid cleaner make sure you rinse it with baking soda water to neutralize any residual. Acid left on the pans can eat away at the stainless. Also when you store the pans they should be up on boards so air can circulate.