PDA

View Full Version : Pump

tonka
12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Dose anyone use a pump with a long hose to collect sap out of your buckets instead of emptying the buckets one by one? What kind of pump do you use with the length of hose and size?

maple maniac65
12-08-2012, 05:29 AM
i would think a vacuum system would be ideal since between buckets the pump would lose its prime on a long hose

Ausable
12-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Dose anyone use a pump with a long hose to collect sap out of your buckets instead of emptying the buckets one by one? What kind of pump do you use with the length of hose and size?

My Son and Grandsons haul up Sap from 80 miles South of me. When the snow is a problem - we use a Wayne Submersible Sump pump hooked up to a small generator and pump from the barrels in their truck or trailer on the road to my storage barrels at my Sugar Shack about 150' away - using garden hose. Of course - You have to drain the hoses when you coil them and I bring them into a heated area to thaw prior using. Also - use a submersible sump pump to fill my feed tank and to transfer sap. The Commercial Syrup Makers would laugh at this - but - as a Backyarder it works for me. I don't know why You couldn't do it - in the way You describe. --------Mike-------

Ausable
12-08-2012, 07:33 AM

Tonka - You really didn't give us much information. What do You mean by a long hose? Why can't You empty Your buckets? Can't get near your trees? Making Maple Syrup is a lot of work no matter what You do. But - at my age - I will use every trick in the book to make it easier - lol - as long as it don't cost too much. ---Hey! --Good Luck. -----Mike-----

tonka
12-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Tonka - You really didn't give us much information. What do You mean by a long hose? Why can't You empty Your buckets? Can't get near your trees? Making Maple Syrup is a lot of work no matter what You do. But - at my age - I will use every trick in the book to make it easier - lol - as long as it don't cost too much. ---Hey! --Good Luck. -----Mike-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWaSLeLpDyo I seen the idea on this video. I can't get close to all mt buckets so I am hauling 2 - 5 gallon buckets out 50 or so yards and that takes a lot of time when a person has 20-40 buckets to collect from. I also see this rout better vs a pump on line just because we got a lot of deer in the area so I would be spending time finding where the hose got knocked down, and I am not running a big operation by any means, 180 buckets last season and I am the only one that is doing it, I plan for 300 next season depending on if I can make it a bit easier and to cut down on time in the woods collecting the sap so I got more time boiling.

noreast maple
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Tonka , The 1 inch sap pumps made by tonaka or tractor supply wor great for that . they are self priming and with 30 to 50 ft. of suction hose works good . Also the oberdorfer pumps will work with either gas or electric motors to do same thing.

noreast maple
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
When the snow is deep it saves alot of lugging and spilling pails:lol:

Bucket Head
12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I watched the video on the birch syrup- very interesting! The bucket-sucking made me wonder about the pump(s). It does'nt harm the pump to suck air while going tree to tree? And basically, they reprime themselves at each tree, with that much air in that long of a hose?! How are they doing that? From sap pumps to pool pumps, my pump experience has taught me that if I have that much air and no liquid, I have a problem- I'm not moving any liquid!

The other thing that stood out was that they were plugging the tapholes after pulling the spile! Is that reccomended for birch trees? I figured they would "heal" the would the same way as a maple does.

Steve

tonka
12-09-2012, 12:52 AM
I watched the video on the birch syrup- very interesting! The bucket-sucking made me wonder about the pump(s). It does'nt harm the pump to suck air while going tree to tree? And basically, they reprime themselves at each tree, with that much air in that long of a hose?! How are they doing that? From sap pumps to pool pumps, my pump experience has taught me that if I have that much air and no liquid, I have a problem- I'm not moving any liquid!

The other thing that stood out was that they were plugging the tapholes after pulling the spile! Is that reccomended for birch trees? I figured they would "heal" the would the same way as a maple does.

Steve

I have looked into tapping Birch a while back and from what I understand is that if the holes do not get plugged the tree will literally bleed to death, If I remember correctly so don't quote me on that.

Amber Gold
12-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I retired local producer used to collect sap from buckets using a hose and a gear pump. Said it worked great until the gears wore out.

wiam
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I retired local producer used to collect sap from buckets using a hose and a gear pump. Said it worked great until the gears wore out.

And it is recommended not to pump sap with a bronze gear pump now

Bucket Head
12-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have an idea on what they are using to pump out the buckets in the video?

Steve

tonka
12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I e-mailed the people in the video asking them how they have it rigged up but have not heard anything from them yet, if I hear from them I will post their response. Sure is a good idea for those (like myself) that can't/don't want to go with lines on a vacuum pump.

Butcher
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
We are currently building a sap sucking trailer rig with a vacuum pump, released,100 ft of 1.5inch lightweight suction hose on an electric hose real, I tested this and was able to suck a 5 gallon bucket dry in 5 seconds it really pumped quick. When I switched to 3/4 inch it took around 17 seconds.

NH Maplemaker
12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Why would'nt a diafram pump like the The MapleGuys or Glen Goodrich sells work for this ? The sap puller. It can run dry, doesn't need a releaser, Will pull sap out of the Orchard. Only problem would be ice. I would think it would work great! Just a thought.

tonka
12-10-2012, 08:10 AM
We are currently building a sap sucking trailer rig with a vacuum pump, released,100 ft of 1.5inch lightweight suction hose on an electric hose real, I tested this and was able to suck a 5 gallon bucket dry in 5 seconds it really pumped quick. When I switched to 3/4 inch it took around 17 seconds.

What model of vacuum pump are you using?

NH Maplemaker
12-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have an idea on what they are using to pump out the buckets in the video?

Steve

In the video they are useing a Bronze gear pump. I used one for years and it can lose suction and pick it right back up with out much problem as long as the pump isn't worn out!

NH Maplemaker
12-10-2012, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=wiam;196141]And it is recommended not to pump sap with a bronze gear pump now[/Q

Someone better tell the companys makeing the plate syrup filter system then ! Most all of them are using Bronze gear pumps.

DrTimPerkins
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
And it is recommended not to pump sap with a bronze gear pump now

Someone better tell the companys makeing the plate syrup filter system then ! Most all of them are using Bronze gear pumps.

Bronze gear pumps are not recommended for sap transfer due to the possible transfer of lead into the sap. Sap is typically slightly acidic, and thus can fairly quickly dissolve some of the lead from the pump. This lead gets concentrated when you boil the sap. The pumps are OK for syrup because the syrup is less acidic (typically neutral unless fermented) and because there is no further concentration of the lead happening after that point. Some of the bronze pumps are "low-lead" formulations.

tuckermtn
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks Dr Tim for all your post on the Trader...good, clear, and simple answers to a wide range of sugaring issues. You are a huge asset to the sugaring community...

thanks again-

tonka
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
How many psi is the vacuum pump rated at?

tonka
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM

How many psi is the vacuum pump rated at?

tonka
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I was looking on Home Depot web sight and found this pump http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&R=202413245&catEntryId=202413245#.UMZSNOS_CSo What do you all think?

Butcher
12-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Airblo 8cfm. I don't think u need a monster pump. Probably could put a ball valve on a wand to shut it off between buckets but I don't think its necessary.