PDA

View Full Version : arch board or ceramic blanket

supersapper
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
where in minnesota can i get either of these? i am building a new arch and alot depends on what i can get. from reading other posts fire brick alone isn't the way to go.:confused:

whalems
12-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I bought mine from http://www.indfirebrick.com/index.html they sell what is called end cuts. One box was enough to put 2 layers on my 4x12. it can also be found on ebay and most any refractory supply company should be able to source it for you. Shipping is the killer on this stuff. good luck

lpakiz
12-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Supersapper,
It is available at Andersons Maple Syrup in/Cumberland, WI, west of Rice Lake. They are having an open-house on Saturday, the 15th, and have a tubing speaker as well as discounts that day.
Still a hike for you tho. You could call and ask about shipping costs--they do ship UPS.
Also, Roths in Cadott have it and also ship.

Dennis H.
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
ceraminc blanket is what you want to line the arch. it will give you the best insulation value and to keep the heat under the pans.
But you will need bricks also. Blanket will not hold up at all to throwing wood against it.
Line the arch with ceramic blanket or arch board and then lay fire brick against it in the firebox area.

Not sure if you know what arch board is, it is a type refractory that comes in a panel form. Like 1" thick by 12" wide 36" long.
It cuts with a utility knife just like blanket but it is just a stiffened form of it. It will hold its shape better when fire brick are resting against it.

mapleack
12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Check the price @ mcgillswarehouse.com usually pretty cheap.

Waynehere
12-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I used a combo of arch board, the mineral wool type, and ceramic fiber blanket last year. The areas that I didn't brick had the blanket and was very comfortable to touch while the arch was operating. The firebox with the arch board though that also had the firebrick on top of it was still letting a lot of heat through. I did find some ceramic fiber board and blanket that are both rated at 2300 degrees and hope to resolve that problem this year. http://store.refractorydepot.com/insulatingboards.aspx However I find smaller lots on Ebay as well.

Leo
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Smith-Sharpe Firebrick Supply Co.
2129 Broadway Street Minneapolis.
They have ceramic board, blanket, and fire brick. All very reasonable and very accommodating .

Daves Maple Farm
12-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Today I was stumbling around Tractor Supply and low and behold were two cases of half firebrick at $2.49 per brick. All this after I drove 60 mile and paid 2.75 two months ago!! My new arch from Maple Lake will be lined with 1 inch fire blanket 2600 degree and inch fire brick over top of the blanket in the "log pit". Just waiting on the arch to arrive so we can see the shiney stainless and get er ready to go.;)

Mark
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Try Firebrick Engineers in Milwaukee. If I remember right they had also had an office in Minneapolis. They were more than happy to sell to the little guy. They syrup didn't hurt.

supersapper
12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
thanks for all the input. i was looking for a supplier in MN. i am going to check the place Leo suggested as it is only 50 miles from me. Shipping seems to be the killer in ordering this out of state.

supersapper
12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
as far as arch board goes, I believe it is another type of material used to insulate the arch. fire brick is used to protect the insulation. my barrel arch just had brick and I had no problems as I boil outside. I will still boil outside this year but under a lean-to off a small shed.

RileySugarbush
12-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I second Smith Sharpe. They will have everything you need right there.

For ceramic blanket, it is often available on eBay as well.