PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the new saw today!!!

red maples
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Picked up my new saw this afternoon!!! Husqvarna 562 XP !!! its probably a little overkill for my needs but you the way I see it, I wanted something that is going to have power, durability and not vibrate apart and still be able to feel my hands after a day of cutting. oh yeah and something that will LAST!!! thats most important. I will be hitting some big stuff tomorrow to see how this thing handles, its a little heavier than my last P.O.S.

Its my first husqy So I am excited. The style seems very stream line its not a bulky as some of the other bigger saws I like it.

can't wait to get it started up in the AM. I just wanna order one of the bigger bars to have on hand I get those bigguns occacionally. I think it can handle up to a 28" bar.

heus
12-05-2012, 06:05 PM
May I ask what you paid for it?

red maples
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
$730.00 I shopped around

maple flats
12-06-2012, 09:02 AM
You made an excellent choice. I have a sawmill, and do a little logging to feed it, in addition to buying some saw logs. I started getting Huskies about 8 yrs ago (when I first bought my sawmill) after getting tired of needing to replace my Poulan' every year. I am still running the Husky (a 359), I also bought a 365 (now deleated because of new EPA regs). It has a 34" bar and will cut like crazy.
Use fresh gas only, get ethenol free gas, and use quality mixing oil. That saw will then last a very long time.

Revi
12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
You're gonna like it. I have had 2 Huskys and am thinking of getting another. I like the XP, since I tried a friend's and it was amazing. That X-torq engine sounds amazing. I wish they had that in the smaller XPs.

Revi
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Here's the one I want, if I can find the money for it. 346 e tech XP with Trio chain Brake:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/346-xp-e-tech-triobrake/

maple flats
12-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Ask Santa!

Thad Blaisdell
12-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Revi,

I have this saw and I have to say am slightly disappointed in it. I owned a 350 prior to this which is the same size (ish) and was much less expensive. I have to say I would take another 350 over the 346xp. The 346 spins way way faster quite amazing, but when you start cutting it just doesnt have the power. But, now if you want to cut slash and brush I would highly recommend this saw, I mean wow look out. it eats through that stuff even after the blade is as sharp as a butter knife. But over all my money would go to the 350 for overall effectiveness. I guess it would be the 450 now not sure.

Thad

Ed R
12-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Revi, I love my 346 xp, as Thad said its an incredible saw for topping. Iv'e had to cut alot of big stuff with mine and power has not been an issue. I like the 20 inch bar on mine better than the 16.

JuniperHillSugar
12-18-2012, 09:00 AM
My "new" Husky is now 14 years old. I put up about 10 cord of firewood per year and cut logs most winters. The "new" saw was simply the best purchase that I've ever made. If you find yourself fiddeling around with your old Homelite "get rid of it" and get a Husqvarna (or Jonsered), they simply can't be beat.

red maples
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Its a beast!!! I had to make a couple length cuts (with the grain) Of some really big maple just to get it to the splitter and it zipped right through it NOOOO PROBLEM!!!! LOVE it so far!!!

maple flats
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I saw a neighbor trying to cut a 8" cedar a few days ago to help clear the way for me to drop some big trees. I went over an told him I'd be back soon to do the job. I got my Husky 365 with the 34" bar and full skip chain. First I dropped a 32" white pine (took less than 2 minutes) then I dropped a 25" white spruce (another minute) The third tree, a 20" spruce took a few minutes longer because it leaned the wrong way and I had to use several wedges to push it back the other way. In less than 8 - 10 minutes 3 trees were laid on the ground, lined up exactly how they were supposed to. I do like dropping big rather straight trees when there is an open field to fell them into. The Husky performed perfectly.
The landowner was going to limb them as much as he dared and I'll return to tip them over. All 3 were resting on the limbs and the but ends were between 8-11' off the ground. I cautioned him to leave the supporting limbs and then let me tip them. For this I'll use a 3/4" braided rope (nylon)x 350' long that I use to pull brush out of my 300' blueberry rows. I'll just pull then sideways (I hope). Years ago, I'd have climbed and limbed them first, but at my age my wife doesn't want me climbing anymore (not sure why, I haven't fallen in over 50 yrs.)
It sure makes me look like I know what I'm doing when things go perfectly!
For those looking to use a chainsaw, get the proper training. The best one I know if is GOL, (Game of Logging), it could save your life.

maple flats
12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Its a beast!!! I had to make a couple length cuts (with the grain) Of some really big maple just to get it to the splitter and it zipped right through it NOOOO PROBLEM!!!! LOVE it so far!!!
To properly cut with the grain, you should use a ripping chain. A cut or 2 is OK without, but if you have a lot try the rip chain, you'll be glad you did, but save it only for ripping.

red maples
12-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I 'll have to pick one up. I wanna rip a piece I saved for a coffee table. thanks for the tip.

OK now where can I get one??? Should I ask my dealer? or is there an online site I can find one?

Dill
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
I've got one somewhere around here, I think its a 24". Do you have a mill setup or are you going to rip freehand?