PDA

View Full Version : Different releaser types

archerybs
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I am adding vacuum to my bush this year and am trying to pick out a releaser. Electric isn't an option. I'm looking for the advantages/disadvantages in single vs. double and horizontal vs. verticle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday Rock Maple
12-03-2012, 04:54 AM
We have two double Bernard vertical mechanicals that we are happy with. Both are on the same 5hp 60 cfm flood vaccum system running about 26 inches. One is right at the shanty and runs about 1,000 taps. The other is 1,400 feet away on a 1 and 1/2" dry line and ran about 1,400 taps (will be 1,600 this year). The farther one needed more lubricant on the seal or it would hiss a bit and leak about 1 to 2 cfm -- I was told after the season that this was probably a leveling issue.

PATheron
12-03-2012, 04:59 AM
I like the large old fashioned horizontal releasers. If I have places where the releaser cant be heated I use them becouse they are a lot easier to clean the ice out of in the morning. If your pump runs at night and the releaser freezes up after you go to bed the verticle ones will have the float froze into the releaser and then its hard to pull the top off to clear it. On the horizontal ones you just pull the side cover off and sweep the ice out and your all done. If its heated the verticle ones are good. Theron

sapmaple
12-03-2012, 06:07 AM
I have four double bernard verticals very happy with them. One of them only on a section with 450 taps, had a single there before and it gave me all kinds of problems so swap it for double. As for the ice issue I have a temp controller on vac. pump , it will shut off if having hard freeze so releasers will drain out before they freeze up. (I have check valve adapters)

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-03-2012, 06:21 AM
I have one horizontal good for way more taps than I have on it but it wa a bargain. Works good. Occasionaly the flapper does not seal when I start up but it is located right at the pump so is not an issue. I have 6 double verticals, some Bernards, some Laps, and one smaller I got fromDominion and Grimm. They all work well. The smaller one is a slightly lower profile and is used on about 1000 taps where slope is an issue and every inch counts. I started with singles but have phased them out as they were much more prone to hang up issues. As Sunday Rock said, leveling is very important!

delivron
12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Great Question not a simple answer. I work for Lapierre and have spent the better part of the day working on a PowerPoint that answers that question it is also part of how to maintain your releaser.

It my be easier to answer your question once we understand the issues in your woods.

Here are some starter questions.
Number of taps?
Location of releaser ?
Once in the releaser where does the sap go?
Into a tank, or pumped somewhere else.
Is the vacuum system above 20 in or below?
Does the entry of the sap into the releaser need to be low to achieve adequate drop in the main lines?
How important is maximizing every potential drop of sap.
What temperature concerns are there. Will the releaser be in a location that will freeze?
Space considerations. Example single vertical require less floor space then other designs?

archerybs
12-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

Delivron,

Here are the answers to your questions

Number of taps? around 1000
Location of releaser ? 300' from vacuum pump (60 verticle feet below pump)
Once in the releaser where does the sap go? dumps into bulk tank
Into a tank, or pumped somewhere else.
Is the vacuum system above 20 in or below? should be around 25-26
Does the entry of the sap into the releaser need to be low to achieve adequate drop in the main lines? no
How important is maximizing every potential drop of sap. not sure how to answer this...obviously I want every drop but within a reasonable budget
What temperature concerns are there. Will the releaser be in a location that will freeze? yes
Space considerations. Example single vertical require less floor space then other designs? no space concerns

Thad Blaisdell
12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Sounds like the flapper needs a little tweak. Try that and see if it doesnt fix it. loosen or tighten the screws that hold it. I have had to do that before.

delivron
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
If you are running below 21” of vacuum I would select a vertical double mechanical Lapierre style of at least 1500 tap capacity. You don’t want to select a releaser at 100% of system design capacity. If you are running above 22” of vacuum then I would choose a Double mechanical Bernard style releaser. During the switching between chambers the vacuum will not be on the vacuum line in the bush for just seconds while the valve shifts between chambers and the vacuum evacuates the empty chamber of air. Approximate $300 would provide a check valve in the system that would provide continuous vacuum. But you requested consideration of budget limitations. While I like the simplicity of the Lapierre design should you have high vacuum I would not choose that design. The reason the low pressure in the shuttle valve may result in premature freezing of the valve since vapor is present in the valve. Apparently you don’t have a source of heat for the releaser. Any design you choose should drain automatically when the pump is turned off. Just as pressure effects the boiling point of sap or water it will affect the freeze point. Yes you have choices knowing why one design might be better than another you can make a wise choice. Maple Guys our hosts at MapleTrader.Com are dealers for Lapierre and Bernard releasers. They are qualified to assist you in your choice.

Double system provides more time when vacuum is reaching the bush.
Vertical because you don't have height considerations for low sap entry into the releaser.
Mechanical because in the absence of vacuum (system turned off) the system will drain automatically.

It would take a lot of time to go though all the reasons we build various models. I trust this may give you a little direction for specific models that would meet your needs while respecting a budget. Additional note in general you should have 10 CFM in your vacuum system to operate a 1000 tap system.

heus
12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Delivron whats your opinion on the new double hobby releaser?

delivron
12-05-2012, 05:47 AM
The double hobby releaser is now available in both Bernard and Lapierre styles. It is built to the same high standards as our big releasers are. There is no reason to exclude the product from consideration. It is rated at a maximum of 1000 taps. So the decision making process becomes application. I didn't recommend it for this bush because it would have the releaser work at 100% of capacity. In the above application spending and addition $230 using a continuous vacuum model the hobby style would work because it is rated at 1500 taps and is available in both Bernard and Lapierre styles.