PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar House

MyDeereMaple
11-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I am in the process of building a new addition off of the back of my barn to house our 2x4 hobby evaporator. The original barn is a 24'x30' with a barn shaped open truss for the second story. Rather than a shed roof off the back, I decided to simply order the same trusses and extend the barn back another 12'. So the new measurements will be 24'x42'. I still have room to store sap in the old original section of the barn in some bulk plastic containers. However, the new addition will be totally separate from the old and I planned on insulating the ceiling/walls of the first floor with a cupola extending through the attic of second floor. Again, this will be partitioned and separate from the attic. My concern is that the old barn was just cold storage pole barn, with metal siding and roofing on 2x4 batten boards. I needed to do the same with the addition to make all of the exterior finishes match up. this means that there is no plywood or wood sheathing under the metal. Therefore, I am worried about sweating.

Question #1 - with a concrete floor, i plan on insulating the ceiling and walls with R19 insulation. The exterior will be metal on 2x4 batten boards. The interior will eventaully be finished off with rough pine. Would anyone recommend putting a poly vapor barrier over the interior of the insulation, before the pine board finish is complete?

Question #2 - What type of pump would anyone recommend to transfer sap from the cold storage side of the barn to a hold tank above the evaporator in the new heated section? Probably about an 8' lift over about 20'. I'd like to hard wire a small pump and flip a switch to make the transfer.

Any input would be appreciated.