PDA

View Full Version : Refractory Cement

doocat
11-25-2012, 07:59 AM
To follow up on the firebrick thread, What is the best refractory cement to use for the firebox? Is there one better than the other? Is there one out there that will not crack out and hold to higher temps?

Just curious.

Craig

madmapler
11-25-2012, 08:23 AM
I've worked with both premixed and dry on a few occasions. Performance wise I think they're pretty close however the premix is a little easier to work with and the unused portion remains pliable in the bucket for years if stored properly. This is handy for occasional repairs and pointing up. Cant say much about the price difference though. Its been a few years.

Middleton Maples
11-25-2012, 08:45 AM
dry mix is the way to go, lasts much longer. I would recommend it.

madmapler
11-25-2012, 10:26 AM
dry mix is the way to go, lasts much longer. . All refractory cement has to comply with the national building code ASTM C-199. One issue with mixable is that in order to perform correctly its critical to mix and apply it properly or it wont last long at all.(Do a web search) Respectfully speaking,Premix is idiot proof.

Middleton Maples
11-25-2012, 12:11 PM
All refractory cement has to comply with the national building code ASTM C-199. One issue with mixable is that in order to perform correctly its critical to mix and apply it properly or it wont last long at all.(Do a web search) Respectfully speaking,Premix is idiot proof.
True but as a mason some pre-mixed refractory cement does not meet code. The thing with pre-mix is if you apply it and then leave it. It can go bad if it gets wet or freezes to much. You need to heat treat it after application. Even after that pre-mixed refractory does not get as hard as dry mix. Pre mixed does not last i've seen it first hand.