PDA

View Full Version : charging to concentrate sap for others

alltapped out
11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
what would you charge to run sap through your ro? I was asked to dothis but I am considering the ro use, filters, cleaners and the wear and tear of my path to the sap shack in the woods. Any advice would be appreciated.

maple flats
11-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Calculate your costs, add in what you want/hr (make sure it is high enough) and set the price. On the other hand, concentrate can't be held too long so whoever you do it for must be close enough to be able to boil it down NOW. I might consider ROing for others, but only if I did not need it for myself at that time. Often, you will find that you need it yourself when someone asks you to run some sap.

PETE FELCH
04-24-2013, 07:00 AM
We have been getting this question asked alot. We usually buy sap at .15 per point . But some people are asking to buy some of our concentrate to save some time . It has sofar been pretty small volumes less than 100 gal. .we charged them .15 plus .02 for the conc. Per gal . Just like to know if anyone else is doing it

jmayerl
04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
We have been getting this question asked alot. We usually buy sap at .15 per point . But some people are asking to buy some of our concentrate to save some time . It has sofar been pretty small volumes less than 100 gal. .we charged them .15 plus .02 for the conc. Per gal . Just like to know if anyone else is doing it
So if i wanted to buy 1 gallon of 8% from you it would cost me $1.20 +.02 for the gallon of concentrate? If that were the case with anyone around here i would never need to spend money on an RO, it wouldnt be worth it. Maybe im not understanding it but it seems like a very bad deal for you(timewise, and wear on eqip).

PETE FELCH
04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes .17 cents a point . We are not doing big volumes for them . Most of the guys are older guys who dont want to stand over the fire all day . As fof wear yesterday alone about 30000 gal went through the ro. We were just wondeing if any one was doing it

jmayerl
04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Just running the quick math i say you could easily charge twice what you are. You are saving so much time for the people it would be worth it. No one near here does that(i have asked) .

PETE FELCH
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
At .34 cents per point per gal would be syrup price we are getting right now.

wiam
04-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I know a guy that does it for half the sap.