PDA

View Full Version : FireBrick Specifications?

bunkerchump
11-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I was going to purchase my firebrick for a new 4X2 hobby evaporator from a large local "Diversified Construction services Company" The cost of the fire bricks are much cheaper than the big-box stores. I'm looking at just over a dollar per brick. Per the MSDS, the bricks were kilned at a temp of 2,000 degrees and rated for 1,750 degrees use. Will this be suitable for bricking my new evaporator? How hot can the typical 4X2 get without vent fan/with vent fan? Right now, I'm not using forced ventilation, but I may in the future.

Thanks,

red maples
11-21-2012, 09:17 AM
as long as they say they are fire brick you should be all set. I have had bricks Glow red right at the base of the arch and they are still fine. 1750 should be fine. just for kicks do they offer a different or a higher temp brick? I don't know.

yeah when I was first looking into firebricks I didn't know where to go and I went to a fireplace store they wanted $4 per brick I just looked at the guy and said WHAT???? you really charge that much for those? I said thats a pretty good mark up being they are about a $1 a piece. he just looked at me and said yep $4. alrighty then walked out!!!

seclark
11-23-2012, 06:58 AM
I found fire brick at a stone and cement supply yard that was much cheaper than any hardware or big store's prices.Fire brick holds up fine even after many HOT fires.You should have no problems using them.

bunkerchump
11-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks Brad & seclark for the advice and assurance. I think I'll buy them. They are $1.10 per half brick and only $1.28 for a full brick. Just got all the yard cleaned up after Sandy, Garlic planted, mower deck off, cleaned & machines winterized and put away till spring, and I'm finally ready to brick my new Mason 4X2.

LukeDawg11
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Bunker -- I am in CT as well and I need to brick my new evaporator. I've been calling around to the local stove places and they want from $3-$4 per brick. No half bricks. One place wanted to charge me $3 for a full brick and then an additional $5 per brick to cut them!

Where did you get your firebrick from? I am in Cheshire and was hoping to start this project soon, before it warms up....