PDA

View Full Version : New 2x2 finishing pan

4045chad
11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Looking to purchase a second 2x2 finishing pan for my 2x8 raished flue set up. The current pan which came original equipment with my set up has only 1 divider to make it 2 compartment. I am contenplating ordering the new pan with 3 dividers to make it 4 compartment. I have noticed some inconsistency with the gradient when drawing off with the 2 compartment pan. Does anyone see any down falls to the 4 compartment pan? This second pan will allow me to easily switch out the finishing pans daily for cleaning.

maple flats
11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I think you mean syrup pan. 4 is better, it will keep the gradient more constant.

4045chad
11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you syrup pan is the correct terminology.

Ausable
11-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Looking to purchase a second 2x2 finishing pan for my 2x8 raished flue set up. The current pan which came original equipment with my set up has only 1 divider to make it 2 compartment. I am contenplating ordering the new pan with 3 dividers to make it 4 compartment. I have noticed some inconsistency with the gradient when drawing off with the 2 compartment pan. Does anyone see any down falls to the 4 compartment pan? This second pan will allow me to easily switch out the finishing pans daily for cleaning.

Chad - A Question for You - As I too - am still learning about Continuous Flow Setups. Just when I think I have it figured out - I realize i'm still a Newbie after all these years. I Know what a raised flue sap pan is in a continuous flow setup - but does it have deviders? I assumed they did - but - not sure now. I was surprised how small Your Syrup Pan is on a 2'x8' setup - I assumed it would be about 2'x5' with 3 or 4 sections and the raised flue Sap Pan about 2'x3' with ??? Sections.
I 've saw a few other rigs - but - never a raised flue - only pictures. My own little continuous flow is a home-made 2'x5' flat bottomed rig. Sap Pan is 2'x2' with 2 sections and the Syrup Pan 2'x3' with 3 sections and for the amount of sap I've boiled in the 3 years I've had it - works for me ---- but - still learning. I batch boiled for years and years - but - too slow for the amount of Sap I now boil. My Son and Grandson would like to add flues - and if the amount of sap I'm boiling keeps increasing - I'll have to get more efficient. -----Mike-----

maple flats
12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Sap pans are generally 1/3, some are half. Often on a 2x6 the syrup pan is 3', flue pan 3'. I have not heard of a rig with a longer syrup pan than flue pan. On the other end, my 3x8 had a 2' syrup pan and a 6' flue pan. This ran OK with raw sap but on 8% concentrate at times I made syrup in all 4 sections of the syrup pan. It got real hairy fast the few times that happened. My new pans I ordered 3' syrup and 5' flue. That should be much better.

Ausable
12-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Dave --- Thanks for the information. Everytime I think I'm getting a little smarter - I find out I know less. So - I did a lot of poking around and finally came across some overhead views of raised flue evaporators. Just like You said - The Raised Flue (Sap) Pans were much larger then the Syrup Pans. I could not see the flue setup - but - the Raised Flue (Sap) Pan had two sections and the smaller syrup pan had four sections. Most of the boiling must be done in the flue (sap) pan and just finished up in the syrup pan sections? I have discovered in making syrup in Continuous Flow Evaporator Pans....That I must really learn it myself...to discover who is a good teacher and who is a sticky BS'er. You Sir - are a Teacher and again thanks. Funny - I can make Syrup --- But - I still have a heck of a lot to learn. ----Mike----

4045chad
12-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Mike

In my current set up the 2x6 flue pan has 1 divider which allows the cold sap to enter the pan flow the entire length of the pan and then return the entire length of the pan prior to exiting to the syrup pan. I have seen many setups of similar size with similar flow paths. I personally have not studied many larger pans say 4 or 6 ft in width to know how these are divided. However I have seen many set ups similar to mine with 2 flat bottom pans. For example 2x5 sap pan 1 2x1.5 intermediate pan and 1 2x1.5 syrup pan. I could see this being beneficial to achieve more consistent gradient but am not sure of other benefits. I looked at this option when purchasing my evaporator however was swayed the other way by my dealer who suggested my syrup would become dark in my particular process if I were to go with that set up.

Ausable
12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply Chad. In Your Flue (Sap) Pan - How many flues do you have underneath the pan? Do they run the full length of the pan or just part way? Hard to ever see any really good pictures of them - that you can follow and figure out what is going on. I understand the concept - more heating surface and less boiling time per gallon of syrup produced. Once your system gets cranking and you are adding sap - does it travel through the flues as it does through the divided pans? My questions might sound odd - but - I just don't know for sure how they operate. Thanks for giving me your time - I appreciate it. ----Mike----

Schiefe4
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Mike, I found the attached photos at the website below. They should help illustrate and help you understand how sap travels through an evaporator.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043452608006049

---Paul---

Ausable
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Paul - Thanks so much ---- the view of the evaporator was good - The diagram of the continuous flow evaporator with flues brought it all home - I think. Even gives the percentage of sugar in the sap as it winds its way through the evaporator and becomes maple syrup. Just what I needed to see to hammer it home. So Flues can have different styles in an evaporator? Like tubes or troughs as long as it makes for more surface area to heat for greater efficiency. I was always thinking tubes. I now have a far better understanding and I thank You and everyone else for the information. -----Mike-----