PDA

View Full Version : State border issues

madmapler
11-11-2012, 05:56 AM
I've done a few searches and I cant see for sure the answer to my question. I live close to the Mass. border in VT. I'm starting out this year and it looks as though I will be tapping trees in both states. If my operation is based in VT. then do I call it "Vermont syrup"? Why exactly is VT. syrup considered to be above other states products? Seriously,I'll probably be tapping trees on the same mountain in both states. I'm in a very public location and I'm sure this is an issue I'll have to contend with. Are there really any stated guidelines concerning this? Thanks.

rchase
11-11-2012, 07:21 AM
wow thats a tough one.

maple flats
11-11-2012, 08:06 AM
For an answer, I'd ask your state association. My opinion is to label it where it is boiled into syrup, but that may not be correct. Label it, Made in Vermont or Made in Dummerston, Vermont. Just my guess!

maple maniac65
11-11-2012, 08:30 AM
it has to do where the sap is actually boiled. I live in NH and I can sell sap in VT and they call it VT maple syrup. The same goes for Canada, if they tap over the border and bring it back home it is Canadian maple syrup.

wiam
11-11-2012, 09:37 AM
it has to do where the sap is actually boiled. I live in NH and I can sell sap in VT and they call it VT maple syrup. The same goes for Canada, if they tap over the border and bring it back home it is Canadian maple syrup.

I know a guy that boils in Monroe, NH from VT and NH trees. I am told he has to call it NH syrup?

madmapler
11-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Just logging on again. What you guys are mostly saying I agree with. I'm producing the syrup in VT. It should be Vermont syrup.I thought also that if the real deal about Vermont syrup being the best is our extensive marketing approach as some of the threads have alluded to, then I should be able to cash in on that being that I pay taxes to the state. Thanks.