PDA

View Full Version : raw sap to ro feed tank question

mrnorthshore
11-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I am just looking at geting my feed tank set up for my ro and I was wanting to find out if this feed tank has to be higher then the ro or are the ro's able to suck the raw sap from ground level? The ro is a 600 D@G. Thanks

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-10-2012, 10:11 AM
It is preferable to have the feed tank higher than the in-feed pump for it to work most effectively. If the outlet of the tank is lower than the pump, you will have to wait until sap level in the tank is higher than the pump inlet to easily get the infeed pump going. Once it is started, the infeed pump will drain the tank.

wiam
11-10-2012, 10:21 AM
It is preferable to have the feed tank higher than the in-feed pump for it to work most effectively. If the outlet of the tank is lower than the pump, you will have to wait until sap level in the tank is higher than the pump inlet to easily get the infeed pump going. Once it is started, the infeed pump will drain the tank.

In my experience the feed pump runs dry for up to half a minute to get prime. I think this would be hard on the pump. Now my raw tank is above the ro. Open valve, flood pump and go.

Ryan Mahar
01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
My advice is to have your raw tank outlet 2 feet off the ground. This is to feed a springtech RO whose intake is 8" off the ground, so I guess overall a drop of at least 16 inches. You can never be too high! But can be too low!

Sunday Rock Maple
01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Higher -- for the ease in priming as the guys have said. We also have it plumbed to feed the evaporator raw sap if need be (usually not) but sometimes it's handy to have that option as a chaser when shutting down.

mrnorthshore
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I will put the tank up on a extra reinforced 7 foot high building I have. Thanks Sunday maple, Thats a great idea to have it hooked up to feed the evaporator raw sap if needed!! Thanks again, Paul