PDA

View Full Version : using galvanized steel

drpud
11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi
Just framing my home made arch and have some 10ish gauge galvanized steel that I was thinking of using for the sides. I've seen a couple posts mention rusting problems due to high heat removing the galanized finish and I seem to recall some issues with gas given off by galvanized steel when heated. I'm insulating with 1 " brick and ceramic blanket. Any opinions on the use of galvanized ?
Thanks
Paul

wiam
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
With insulation the galvanized should last many years.

drpud
11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Cool. Thanks for the reply. It'll save me a little bit of money on the steel.
Thanks again
Paul

maple flats
11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
You'll be fine. My rig has galvanized sides and is insulated with just full firebrick, no insulation. The only spots that show any affect from the heat is where the draw off sometimes splashes on the sides and blackens as it burns on. Just keep the syrup from splashing or wipe it clean often and it will last and look good a long time. Mine is 12 seasons old.

drpud
11-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I appreciate the prompt replies. I hope to post some pictures of the arch when I'm finished. Its a project I am doing for welding class.
Paul

Waynehere
12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I just came into some sheets of Aluminum and wonder what your thoughts are about using them for tinning an arch? I plan on using ceramic insulation and firebrick, so I would think it should work?