PDA

View Full Version : Saying See Ya Later

waysidemaple
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Been a rough couple of days here. My grandfather has been fitting cancer since may. Last few weeks he got really bad and he finally lost the battle Monday morning. He was 90 years old and 100 percent of the reason I make syrup. Without him I would never have tapped my first tree and the bug never would have bit me. I'm so glad I talked home into taking the trip to Leader in Swanton last spring and getting to show him just how big this industry is outside of our backyard. Seeing all that stainless in the warehouse up there really got him going. I wouldn't have half the equipment I have now without him. He bought my first evaporator from A&A and my second evaporator. We went to look at cream machines and the next thing I know he had bought a 3 by 10 intens-o-fire without even looking at it. He even managed to help me move it in the shed this past fall but never got to see it boil in person (I did show him videos). Last Sunday I told him we were at 2500 taps and still going up and he said ill believe it when I see it so I said fine and took a 32 minute walk through the sugarbush with the iPad and made Him a video. He smiled through the whole thing (I can't believe he didn't get sick watching it, it was pretty shakey). I'll always remember getting off the bus and collecting the 13 buckets around the house with him and taking it in to the old coal stove to boil it down. So many good memories. Sitting here typing this I can't help but smile and say thank you to him over and over.

Scott

NH Maplemaker
11-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Scott, So sorry to hear about your Grandfather! But it sounds like he new what life is made of and left you with a life time of these memories. May he RIP! JimL.

tuckermtn
11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Sounds like he had a life well lived. Nothing like sugaring to make traditions for a whole family to enjoy.

I can only hope that my kids and grand kids if we ever have them can carry on our sugaring legacy.

All the best-

Eric

spud
11-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Scott,

It sounds like your grandfather was a great man. Sorry to hear he passed away. My prayer's go out to you and your family.

Spud

noreast maple
11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Scott, sounds like your gramps was alot like my father, A STRONG fighter. be proud that he got todo and see things with you and through you. Iam sure it meant as much to him as it did to you .he will always be there with you and watching you as is my dad for me . my deepest sympathyfor you. hang in there and remember all the good times and remember he is proud!!!

Maplewalnut
11-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Scott-

I lost my father 4 weeks ago and know how your feeling. I too have many memories sugaring with him. Holidays without him will be tough but I am definitely not looking forward to the first boil in 2013. Sure to be flooded with thoughts of him. Stay strong, thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Mike

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Scott,
My Deepest sympathy, I lost my "Old Sugarmaker" (my Dad) just a year ago at 90 years. No words can convey what you are going through. During the next year, at the oddest times, you will be overwhelmed with emotions both of great joy and of great sorrow. Let the spirit of a great man guide your life.
Doug

nymapleguy607
11-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Scott,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Next spring will be especially hard on you but remember that he would be smiling seeing how you have grown your operation.

red maples
11-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Sorry for your loss, My thoughts are with you. I am at the start of what you have been going through with your grandfather, with my mom. Its along emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Sunday Rock Maple
11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
It has been said that sons are like arrows, they reach places that we aim for but can't ever touch ourselves. Looks like you hit pretty near the mark that your Grandfather had in mind.

Outstanding post --- thanks for sharing it.

mapleack
11-08-2012, 01:51 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss Scott, its been eight years since my grandfather passed and still not a day goes by that i dont appreciate all that he did for me.

Clarkfield Farms
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Sorry, man. That is about as big and empty a hole inside there is to be had.

I never knew my father's father, he died about 10 or 12 years before I was born. Never really knew much of my mother's father until about 6 years before he died, and he died when I was about 14. We (I) had always heard wonderful stories about our (my) grandfathers, though, and it helped in big ways to make them real to me even in their absence. Indeed, the stories are still told! Dad's dad died around 1946, my mother's dad died in 1972 if I remember right. So much of who we become is tied to our experiences; I'm thinking that you'll be the type of grandfather that you were taught to be by the best around. Hang on, another blink or two of the eyes and it'll be your turn, sooner than you think or would care to believe. Remember your grandfather now, then, and always, your grandkids will be blessed for it same as you've been.

Praying for you and yours, it's an awful time of year for it. Not that there's any "GOOD" time, but you know what I mean.