PDA

View Full Version : tubing in the winter

rayi
11-05-2012, 10:04 AM
How big of a problem would it be to put up a whole system in the winter in southern MI. Does the tubing get that brittle or real stiff

delivron
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
In 2012 many tubing systems were installed and expended in December 2011 and January 2012. If you use good quality 3/4" tubing or larger you will find some stiffness but you should be able to accomplish your goal. Make sure you un coil your tubing just don't pull on a stationary coil. Just try to finish before the sap runs!

Maple Ridge Farm
11-05-2012, 04:56 PM
It isn't a problem other than it's colder although you may get some sagging come next summer.

spud
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
How big of a problem would it be to put up a whole system in the winter in southern MI. Does the tubing get that brittle or real stiff

People put tubing up right up to sugaring time. You will be fine in doing it. The worst part is putting in all the saddles when it is real cold because you have to take your gloves off to do it (or a least I do). Deep snow could be a problem also but you got to do what you got to do.

Spud

wiam
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
About 6 years ago I put up 1000 taps in February in over 3' of snow. Not the best but it can be done.

sjdoyon
11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Several advantages to installing in the winter. No black flies, mosquitos or deer flies. Leaves are all down, easy to set up your lines. I'm sure you know all the disadvantages of working outside in the winter in Michigan. Make sure to put plenty of ties on, if not, could see some sagging next summer.

maple flats
11-06-2012, 05:11 AM
In my early years all of my tubing was put up in winter. Black poly does get quite stiff, but if you use the blue maple tubing it works fine. I will again be adding in winter, because an order I placed last April was not received until late October, then Sandy rained all the time. I had planned August install.

red maples
11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
no problem seems I will be doing the winter tubing thing......things are just working out that way!!!! but I wanna at least get my mainline wire done a pictched correctly before we get snow so I know it right!!! then the rest I can do when ever.

Sunday Rock Maple
11-07-2012, 05:21 PM
It seems to me that if I put up latterals when it's below 10 degrees F, then I can't pull it tight enough so that it won't sag when it warms up enough to run. Other than that, we didn't have any issues with quality due to it being winter.

philkasza
11-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Make sure you pull the mainline real tight when it is cold because it will expand when it warms up causing the mainline to snake-like between each wire tie. I am not sure how much this would affect production but it does not look as good.

Sam

Sage Family Maple
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Leader's 30P main line is the easiest and best tubing to use any time of the year. It doesn't stretch or expand like black or other manufacture's tubing. It slides onto fittings and won't come apart no matter the temperature and it's pretty resistant to kinking. Main line fittings also install easy and seal in any temperature. We hung some new Leader 30P main line in late January and early February the last couple seasons and there has been no sagging or stretching at all. Best tubing on the market!

Matt