PDA

View Full Version : scorched pan ????

garyp
11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
seen some pans for sale and some are scorched, are these worth buying ,i dont have a whole lot of money
And does a pan get scorched from to low of sap boil or fire to hot

Rossell's Sugar Camp
11-04-2012, 06:05 PM
It really depends on a whole lot. Make sure they hold water because a pan that has been scorched will warp and if it was soldered it will have melted the solder out of the joints, and leak. And a scorched pan will not be flat on the botton, causing sugar sand to really pile up, therefore darkening syrup. If the grade/ color is not a big issue for you and they hold water then go for it. Be careful with pans that have been scorched.

This happens when the water in the pans gets too low and the sugar is so concentrated that it has no more water in it to cool it off. So it gets hotter and hotter and burns. it happens much faster than one might think. Drawing off syrup too quickly (wide open valve) will cause the level in the pan to drop too low and the pan will scorch.

The best way to get rid of scorch is with pan acid, but if you have soldered pans you cant use commercial pan acid available from your dealer or leaderevaporator.com In soldered pans you can use vinegar and water. And if you dont have the time to soak them than scrubbing them would be the only way. NEVER USE STEEL WOOL!!!!!! OR ANYTHING STEEL TO CLEAN YOUR PANS!!!!!! They will do something chemically to the stainless and make it rust.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
And it is completely utterly absolutely impossible to make your fire too hot. The hotter the better. Youll never hear a producer say "my fire is too hot" NEVER :lol:

wiam
11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
And it is completely utterly absolutely impossible to make your fire too hot. The hotter the better. Youll never hear a producer say "my fire is too hot" NEVER :lol:

I have heard more than one person say it. I don't understand and have never said it myself.

Brent
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Easy-off oven cleaner works well both inside and outside.

The biggest issue after leaks is the deformation/distortion. They create shallow spots that will boil off to fast and scorch, unless you run too deep.
A raised deformation 1/4" will almost always be the first place to scorch again and the bad flavor will ruin the batch.

There are a very few metal bashers around that know tricks to flatten them. If you find one, post it here because lots of guys have distorted pans that
need repair, can't be used, and they don't have the heart to scrap them.

ToadHill
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I once had an electric valve stick closed and scorched a brand new 5x6 syrup pan really bad. Pretty much the entire bottom of the pan. I took it to a guy around Utica or Verona New York. Don't recall his name. He sand blasted it with baking soda. It cleaned all of the scorched material off it. The only draw back was it dulled the finish and sugar sand would adhere to it worse than a normal pan, but it worked. He couldn't do anything about the warping though.