PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Rant!

Dennis H.
11-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Ok, maybe it is just me but why can't all the companies come together and make some fittings that work great and easy to put on.

I have been working on putting the tubing in at my dads cabin.
I got Lapierre fittings this time. I used their slide fittings, saddle fittings and clear hooked connectors.

I am continuing to use Leaders stubbies for the CV spouts and I also am using their T's for drops.

I use to use Leaders saddles that have the swivel fitting. I switched to Lapierres because I heard of complaints about vac leaks with Leaders.

Well I have to say that Lapierres saddles are a pain, they are too fiddlely! 4 seperate pieces. Way to many to handle out in the woods with possibly gloves on. Try putting that gasket thing in with gloves, impossible. Then you have to cut that piece of plastic off that holds the clips together. I dropped the clips I don't remember how many times, luckily I was able to find them.

Then it came to the hooked connecters. I used Leaders up to this point, never had any issues using them. I decided to give Lapierres clear hooked connectors a try. I found that the tubing had a sticking issues when installing them. Some I had to cut off and start over because the tubing would stick enought that the tubing would then get stuck half on and the end of the fitting would start to dig into the inside of the tubing, noway to fix that but to cut off and re-do.
I found if I slightly moisten the fitting before I could get the tubing on alot easier.

The only fitting that I got that I have no complaints about are those slide fittings, man do those things rock. Well I guess I do have one issue with them, once that little plastic tie thingy breaks that holds the two pieces together breaks very easy to loose one of the parts.

spud
11-03-2012, 04:45 PM
The saddles you are using are very good and will not leak. What I do is put them together in the house and then carry them in my bird hunting vest. I can carry about 100 saddles at a time and then the rubber gaskets are put in a zipped pocket of the vest. Once you have a little routine going you will be fine. I ran out of H2O tees a while back and made the mistake of buying CDL tees. There is no comparison between the two. I also bought some CDL tubing and although it appears to be good it does not unspool well on my Lapierre spooler. It's little things like this that can drive a person crazy when your working alone. Hang in there my friend were all in this together.

Spud

red maples
11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I use the lap super saddles you need to put them together before you get in the woods I usually get my kids to help me so they take no time.

I don't use hook connectors anymore, I use the lappiearre end line slide as well they work slick and you don't have another connection to worry about and you can also tighten them up at the mainline if you need to.

As for the actual end of the line all my new laterals am using a hollow braid rope first of all its pennies per lateral, and I make S- hooks out of coat hanger wire or high tensil wire what ever (coat hanger easier) feed the rope on to the tubing I the yellow stuff in the box stores is very cheap and it comes with a little plastic thing so it goes in easy. then wrap it around the tree and hook it in the rope with the S- hook then if you need to let the lateral down for what ever reason you just take out the hook and put it back in. and you also don't have that loop around the tree with sap sittin it. EASY!!!

Oh yeah its up to you but a little spit does wonders for lubing up the fitting before sliding it on!!! :emb:

I use the leader CV's and T's as well. and they are a little bit of a pain to get on sometimes because they remanufactored them a few years ago with bigger barbs but once they are on THEY ARE ON...very difficult to get off you need to do so.

morningstarfarm
11-04-2012, 05:00 PM
ok, i am sorry..but i cant resist...tried all day in the woods to get it out of my mind...so with tongue firmly in cheek I have to ask....

is that spit food grade????

sorry...it had to be done...

peace..chris

Homestead Maple
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Ok, maybe it is just me but why can't all the companies come together and make some fittings that work great and easy to put on.

I have been working on putting the tubing in at my dads cabin.
I got Lapierre fittings this time. I used their slide fittings, saddle fittings and clear hooked connectors.

I am continuing to use Leaders stubbies for the CV spouts and I also am using their T's for drops.

I use to use Leaders saddles that have the swivel fitting. I switched to Lapierres because I heard of complaints about vac leaks with Leaders.

Well I have to say that Lapierres saddles are a pain, they are too fiddlely! 4 seperate pieces. Way to many to handle out in the woods with possibly gloves on. Try putting that gasket thing in with gloves, impossible. Then you have to cut that piece of plastic off that holds the clips together. I dropped the clips I don't remember how many times, luckily I was able to find them.

Then it came to the hooked connecters. I used Leaders up to this point, never had any issues using them. I decided to give Lapierres clear hooked connectors a try. I found that the tubing had a sticking issues when installing them. Some I had to cut off and start over because the tubing would stick enought that the tubing would then get stuck half on and the end of the fitting would start to dig into the inside of the tubing, noway to fix that but to cut off and re-do.
I found if I slightly moisten the fitting before I could get the tubing on alot easier.

The only fitting that I got that I have no complaints about are those slide fittings, man do those things rock. Well I guess I do have one issue with them, once that little plastic tie thingy breaks that holds the two pieces together breaks very easy to loose one of the parts.

You can buy the IPL stationary multi-fitting saddle with a non-swivel head that is just a fitting and gasket. You wouldn't have to work with so many pieces to have to put together when they are installed.In Bascom's catalog (if you have one) they are part # MFS75 for 3/4", MFS10 for 1" and MF15 for 1 1/4- 1 1/2".