PDA

View Full Version : handling drops

morningstarfarm
11-02-2012, 04:36 PM
ok..simple question...how do you guys handle large numbers of drops in the woods while cutting in? these things are a pain...on the plus side i am down to cutting in drops on this bush...did 50 today...only 1150 to go this weekend...ugh..

MilesTeg
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I use a doubled up plastic garbage bags. You usually can fit 100 or so in there. Then I leave the bag at the mainline and put enough around my neck to do the outward lat and the lat coming back in. I have yet to find a better way but my ears are always open.

Dave Y
11-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I put drops in a pack basket. Works well, but you first must own a pack basket.

lew
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I do the same as DaveY. Just remember to put the spile end down. If the T end is down, the ends will tangle up and when you pull out one drop, several will come with it.

PATheron
Morning- Gotta Wannnnn it. I use a clean box sometimes and just carry it by the edge or sometimes buy a cheap small plastic garbage can. Put just a hundred by the time their gone need to take a break anyway. Other idea take a few minutes and go ahead and throw a bunch of them one at a time on the ground at each tree then dont have to carry them. Theron

wiam
I put them batches of 50 and tie them with a ball bungee. I slip the bungee through my tool pouch. What I have found works the best is to use one of my teenagers to carry them, but some days the ball bungee listens better;)

PATheron
11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Morning- No ro? Lotta taps, just do lots of boiling? Theron

morningstarfarm
11-02-2012, 08:25 PM
lol ro is in the works...have a brand new toy all picked out...just waiting on money...will have her up and running before tap in...

spud
11-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I framed houses in Alaska for many years and I still have several tool pouches with belts. What I do is wear one of my tool belts with the suspenders and put my drops between the suspenders and my stomach. I can squeeze in about 75 drops at a time. It works very well and they never slip out.

Spud

maple flats
11-03-2012, 06:26 AM
I haul the main bunch (up to 200) on my quad. Then I have each batch of 50 wrapped at midpoint with stretch wrap (I use 2" wide). I then open the 50 bundle, put it around my neck and hook them in. If I have help I distribute them and the help cuts them in. After the 50 (or I don't have enough to go out one lat and in the next) are cut in I forward the ATV and repeat. If I'm on steeper ground I only carry what I expect 2 neighboring lats to require (8-14) and then reload at the ATV.

Rhino
11-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I took a 20 gal. rubbermaid tote and put a nylon strap corner to corner on it, works great, they are durable, lite,and hold alot of drops depending on how much weight you want to start with. I tape packs of 25 drops together and lay then in there tap ends laying the same way, then i just cut the tape on one pack at a time. Easy to count how many you installed also. I made a few of these handle strap totes because they also work good for sap sak holders when your tapping, on these make sure the strap is long enough that it wont block the tote opening, because it will be hard to put the sap sak holders in there and takeing them out. I think they can hold 25-30 holders. (less if you have small kids help). they drag across the snow very easy. Just make sure you get a good quality storage tote because some of the cheaper ones use very brittle plastic and they won't last the day.

archerybs
11-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I usually have Carhartt Bibs on when I'm working in the woods. I slide 50-75 between the chest flap and my stomach. The tees and stubbys keep them from sliding out. Good question though...it seems no matter what I try, they are akward to carry. I kinda like Theeron's suggestion of making one trip just to throw the drop at the base of the tree and then make another trip to cut them in.

sugaringman85
11-03-2012, 05:52 PM
When i make them in front of the tv at night i make bunches of 50, using one to hold them all together. When i get to the woods I have a rope that i use as a sling and untie it and put it through the bunch. If i'm replacing drops I have two slings and one for new drops one for old. It works great, easy to know how many you put out or take out.

red maples
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
you can make a thing like an arrow quiver out of a concrete sonotube get the 12 inch one and put a strap on it. and duct tape a piece of carboard to one end and cut it to the length you need. they com ein 4 ft piece so they fit drops very good. they also slide through the brush very easy and don't get hung up or tear. just don't leave it out in the rain then it doesn't work anymore.....oops!!! :(

Amber Gold
11-04-2012, 06:47 PM
I take a piece of rope, tie a small loop in it, put a pile of drops on the ground, wrap the rope around them and slip the end of the rope through the loop and pull tight. Works reasonably well, but sometimes the drops do come out if they come unlooped...the stubby is plugged on the tee when I do this. I'll make up a days worth of loops...say three batches of 30-50.

dabamvt
11-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I bought several apple picking bags from Frostproof.com. They are listed under agricultural supplies, then harvest bags. They cost me $33, plus shipping. They are very well put together and have a nice padded strap. They come in several different sizes, rated by how much fruit they can hold. I choose the 100 LB Cordura model because the length of the bag matched my drop length. This is one of the best investments I have made this year. We have put out over 2000 drops this year and wish I had this bags several years ago.