PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in snow. What snowshoes?

OneLegJohn
10-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I am looking at some snowshoes on amazon.com. I'd like to order some decent shoes to help my tapping crew. I think the efficiency will pay for the shoes. Looking for something universal. Any help on size, type, style - would be great.

halfast tapper
10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I would definately by a snowshoe that has a good warranty. Tubbs is a very good snowshoe and they stand behind their product. Size depends on the size of the person wearing them and how much snow you usually get. Also get a shoe that has an ice cleat on it. Once you pack a trail down it can get pretty icy. I prefer aluminum over wood put that is a personal preference. The aluminum ones are a lot lighter. I have not tried the all plastic ones but I have heard they work well. I hope this helps you out a little.

bees1st
10-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I just bought a new pair, having almost worn out the pair I got for my 14th birthday. 42 years ago. I looked a the alumilium frame ones with the nearly solid deck. Couldn't do it , I bought a set of wood framed/rawhide bearpaws. Stear clear of ones with tails as they inhibit your ability to maneuver.

lew
10-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I prefer the aluminum ones for several reason. Low or no maintenance. the wooden ones have rawhide which let snow pack on them, plastic does this as well. The vinyl sheeting that is on the aluminum ones instead of the webbing lets the snow lside right off in all temps. When traversing inclines and icy areas the ice cleats can't be beat. If you happen to step on 2 logs or branches at the same time and turn the snowshoe into a bridge, the aluminum ones will take it, the wooden ones may or may not. I've broken wooden ones before (I'm not exactly a little guy). I have an expensive pair of aluminum ones I bought 15 years ago for $350. I have a couple of pair of cheaper ones that I bought at Sam's Club for $75 maybe 10 years ago. I also have a couple of pair of Tubbs that I found at a lawn sale for $30 a pair. All have withstood the abuse I have put them through. I don't think I would spend an awful lot of money on a new pair like I did this first time. I would pay more attention to the bindings you like and the style and length you prefer. I prefer 30" with deep ice cleats and a narrow frame. For bindings I like the straps that you weave back and forth and tighten with a buckle ( I can switch between different boots more easily with these than with style where you ajust them to your boots and have to just click one buckle together. If you have to make an adjustment in the woods, they are harder to do). Just my opinions.

happy thoughts
10-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I am looking at some snowshoes on amazon.com. I'd like to order some decent shoes to help my tapping crew. I think the efficiency will pay for the shoes. Looking for something universal. Any help on size, type, style - would be great.

I've never snowshoed but I picked up a couple of free pairs this summer by chance. In searching out what I had, they turned out perfect for the 2 grandkids.

Sizing goes by your weight. You can google a size chart.

Type is going to depend a lot on the terrain you'll be using them on- flat or steep.

Here's an article on snowshoeing for newbies that might help you.
http://www.snowshoemag.com/first-timers/

another is here:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/snowshoe-guide/

Also check out ebay. They have tons and it looks like there may be some bargains there.

gmcooper
10-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I've got a pair of fairly cheap aluminum with the mostly solid panels. They have ice cleats. I have a couple stone walls with trees on both sides so I repeatedly climb up and over the stone walls with no issues. I also have plenty of brush and crap on the ground that I go over as well. I went with a pair that was on the smaller side for my weight. I was looking for something easier to manuver around on so going slightly under size worked for me.

maple flats
10-29-2012, 05:07 AM
I have and use 4 pair, in 4 different sizes. I wear the smallest ones that will do the job based on the snow conditions that day. At times the size needs change during the day too.

220 maple
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I purchased mine thru Cabellas, they was delivered in two days, they saved my maple season two Springs ago. If I remember correctly I paid 145 dollars for them, maybe the best money I've every spent for maple production.

220 Maple

jason grossman
10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
we use atlas aluminum snowshoes the have been the best for us so far. i have used all wood, all plastic and combinations and i really like the atlas shoes. they are quick rachet system with spring bindings.

bees1st
11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Hey One Leg, I don'tknow if you're still shopping or not ,but I do business with these folks. Good deals and service.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~snowshoes/

Homestead Maple
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I have used the MSR EVO 22 snowshoes for 10+ years and have had very good luck with them. Here's a link to check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Snow-Shoes-22-Inch-Navy/dp/B003EFF6MA