PDA

View Full Version : Will Sandy be a real BI@#$ like Irene was?

GeneralStark
10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Sandy was upgraded to a Tropical Storm and is forecasted to strengthen within the next 36-48 hours. There is presently no clear agreement amongst the models (see link below), but clearly there is some risk for the northeast. This is a system we should keep our eyes on, especially anyone along the eastern seaboard, though things could get interesting inland as they did with Irene last fall.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_ensmodel.html

Revi
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Isn't this a bit late to be worried about hurricanes? Sandy may crash into us, but I think she'll be mostly rain without the high winds if that's any consolation.

GeneralStark
10-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Isn't this a bit late to be worried about hurricanes? Sandy may crash into us, but I think she'll be mostly rain without the high winds if that's any consolation.

It is not too late in the season to be concerned about the potential threat of this storm. Some models are suggesting intensification as it nears New England. Hopefully she will pass out to sea, but it would be best to keep your eye on this one.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-23-2012, 06:57 PM
anything is possible, especially with the gov. spraying the sky as much as they did today. Ill take the high winds before another heavy rain like Irene

rchase
10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
gov spraying the sky?????

SevenCreeksSap
10-25-2012, 07:46 PM
This one is looking bad if the track holds together. hit NJ then into Pa and run into a winter storm over Ohio. wow. weather channel says they've never seen this. a hurricane running headlong into a winter storm. could get ugly. could change by tomorrow though. I tend to watch these cause we do storm related work. getting ready to head east wherever it goes.

Be smart and get ready. go get a generator before the storm hits, not after. get some gas well before or you'll be waiting in lines. if your power is out it can take a while, especially if your out a tap line or your service drop goes down. people know this and still don't get ready. we see it every time. I'd guess most on this site are probably out of town and have a little sense about hardship and getting along, but it pays to be somewhat prepared.

noreast maple
10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
spraying the sky with what flats? mosqitoe repelent?

noreast maple
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Sevencreek good advice hurryup cane irene we were out of services for two weeks!!

Dill
10-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Is southern VT having a tinfoil shortage?

I don't see much coming out of this storm, looks like its tracking into OH rather than new england. I think this is just a good old fashioned weatherman freakout.

Revi
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
It's only the northwest quadrant that will see snow. By the time it hits us it will be a lot of rain, but probably the snow will be west of us, which is too bad because a lot of kids around here want snow. They will have to wait a bit.

red maples
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Agreed media hype. looks like it smore mid- atlantic than NE the center of that stupid cone points to southern NJ/maryland area, But then again the weather folks can't even predict whats going to happen tomorrow let alone Tuesday.

GeneralStark
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
It is probably best to keep an eye on the forecast this weekend as it will continue to change. This storm does have the potential to do some serious damage if the models are correct. Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

maplekid
10-27-2012, 06:00 AM
there getting ready to send my asplundh cell to new jersey for the storm. it might just get ugly. the whole top half of the state is starting to send edison and asplundh units.

Tithis
10-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm not expecting much around here. Lots of trees have already lost their leaves or are to the point where strong winds should just make what leaves they have fall off. There will probably be some street flooding in areas, especially as the leaves start to clog the sewer grates. Only thing I'll be doing is making sure I don't park close to a tree.

markcasper
10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I was reading on accuweather and they are calling it a "Frankenstorm" of biblical proportions. You know they were talking about an October surprise and this may very well be it.

happy thoughts
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm nominating General Stark for official Maple Trader meteorologist. He was on the alert long before the news media.

Now can you tell us when we should start tapping:D

Stay warm and dry everyone!

YAZER
10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Already cancelled school for Tomorrow Monday and possibly Tuesday...

PATheron
10-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Just been watching the news and the projected storm path. Theres basically a big bullseye right over my sugarbush. 50 mile an hour sustained wind for hours with gusts up to 60. Potential six plus inches of rain. Might be transitioning over to the fire wood business this week. Better than the people on the coast. Gonna be a lot of people out of power for a long time. Theron

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
i got caught with my pants down when Irene hit, I'm ready this time, stocked up on food, gas,water made sure the generator runs longer than 15 seconds, wood is all covered, 3 bottles of propane and sump pumps in and ready.