PDA

View Full Version : New mainline question

SevenCreeksSap
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
When stringing new main line 3/4 in- how do you keep it from coiling around the wire like a candy cane? I string up the wire first, then when I try to put up the tubing it always seems to wrap around the wire so some parts seem higher than the rest. Is it worth trying to unroll the coil and let it sit in the sun for a few days to straighten out?

vtmapleman
10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
You need to make sure you unroll the pipe and not let it come off the side. It it comes off the side you will have coils from start to finish - the only way to get these coils out is to work at both ends and twist them out. I have made a aframe to hold the coil; however, someone has to feed the the pipe out as another pulls the pipe. I don't believe leaving out in the sun will help. Also, I stretch the pipe before tieing to the wire.

farmall h
10-20-2012, 07:47 PM
As vtmapleman said, tighten the pipe before you secure it to the wire. I put a (chinese finger torcher) meshy thingy on one end and secure to tree with wire. Uncoil pipe walking backwards. Once you reach close to your anchor point, put another meshy thingy on your pipe. Connect wire and ratchet strap/winch or what have you and pull 'till tight...release some and start at the other end putting wire ties on...zip ties work well also. Good luck.

mainline
10-20-2012, 10:11 PM
When i put up a new mainline.Install wire tight enough to hang tubing on it.Then tie end that is on outside of roll near tensioner.Put arm threw inside of roll and start walking away from tensioner. Let three loops come off roll then flip roll around so three more loops come off flip it around three more loops off. Keep doing this until roll is done or you get to other end.If you pull slack out of tubing it will lay flat and straight.Start wire tying holding tubing under wire and tying spinner over wire.Tighten tensioner and side tie. it helps if a tensioner is put on end of tubing so it will stay tight.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
10-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I too have had this problem, and believe that the tubing I used was CDL 3/4, but there is another tubing by them I believe, but I have it. It is more expensive but I think it is cold weather tubing or something like that meaning that it is more stretchy and plyable down to 5degrees out or something like that. You cant hardly tell the rolls apart by looking at them, but they feel diferent. This "cold weather tubing" unrolls nicer. when I did unroll it it didnt coil up like a slinky. Just my opinion on this tubing, and for the time saved when not haveing to get coils out of the line every 20ft, it was nice.

sjdoyon
10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
When stringing new main line 3/4 in- how do you keep it from coiling around the wire like a candy cane? I string up the wire first, then when I try to put up the tubing it always seems to wrap around the wire so some parts seem higher than the rest. Is it worth trying to unroll the coil and let it sit in the sun for a few days to straighten out?

We first run our wire, side wires and then run our 1" and 2" tubing out. We made a stand out of 2x4s and roll bars to set the tubing onto so one person pulls the tubing out and the other spins the tubing out with the assistance of the roll bars. We attach the stand to a nearby tree. We then lift the tubing and tie every 12". Works well until you have to tie over your head, we then have one person hold the wire down while the other does the ties. Finish with checking the pitch.

SevenCreeksSap
10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the input,we havent put up much main line yet and have figured out to unroll the lateral line. makes sense to unroll the main line too. it'll be fun trying to have her unroll that 75 lb roll while i drag it down the hill. I'll have to figure out a holder to haul to the top in the woods buggy.

Sage Family Maple
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
We put the roll of tubing on a "spinning jenny" and pull the tubing out along the wire. If you can't get a spinning jenny (we rent ours out), you can have one person lay the tubing roll on its side and spin the tubing as the other person pulls the tubing along the wire. The tubing spins a lot better on snow. We use Leader 30P main line and have no problems with it coiling up. Once the tubing is pulled out and laying on the ground, we start at one end and wire tie it every 5 or 6 feet. Once the lateral lines and saddles are finished, we come back and wire tie the main line every 6 inches. Leader tubing never sags or stretches once its up.

Matt

Thad Blaisdell
11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
You can also lay mainline on its side, have one person pull on the end. person at the roll of mainline pull off 3 coils, flip whole thing and pull off 6 flip pull 6 flip pull 6, what will happen is the three will be twisted, then 3 will straighten it, the rest of the 6 (which is the other 3) will be twisted, flip, and do it again. works just fine in a pinch.

maplecrest
11-13-2012, 05:46 AM
A cheep spinning Jenny Is to take a small diameter log tied or if lucky placed in branch arms of two close trees with roll of pipein between.and pull. The secret is not to empty the reel completely.that is when the pipe takes off and wraps around every thing. That way you canget a hold of both ends and pull tight. Tighter the trees the better. Is a two person job. Have done by myself but will kink if it gets hung up unrolling

Brent
11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I do ours just like "Mainline" said above. Tie off one end, then I walk backwards with the coil aimed at the tie off point.
Let off a few coils from one side, then change arms and let off the same number from the other side. They cancel each
other out and the line will lie flat. Simple, not jigs to make. Do it by myself.

Now if you've got 10,000 feet to run out, that's another issue all together.

GeneralStark
11-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I do ours just like "Mainline" said above. Tie off one end, then I walk backwards with the coil aimed at the tie off point.
Let off a few coils from one side, then change arms and let off the same number from the other side. They cancel each
other out and the line will lie flat. Simple, not jigs to make. Do it by myself.

Now if you've got 10,000 feet to run out, that's another issue all together.

Have you ever tried this with 1000' rolls?

Brent
11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Have you ever tried this with 1000' rolls?

Nope. Never ate breakfast with Lance Armstrong.