PDA

View Full Version : is there a reason some trees lose leaves faster than others?

lafite
10-20-2012, 10:59 AM
I have 60+ sugar maples on property in Southern CT. Is there a reason why 75% of my leaves have fallen and some still have 80% + still on within a couple square miles?

bandirector
10-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Aside from the potential for there being different types of maples, exposure to wind and rain would certainly create variations. Usually my taller and fuller trees experience earlier fall off.

lafite
10-20-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm seeing variations across the board. Huge old/full trees with magnificent oranges just starting to lose their leaves.

SevenCreeksSap
10-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Each tree is probably different depending on a lot of factors. The leaf stalk (petiole) goes through a natural process that seals off the leaf from the branch at the base of the leaf stalk. This is when the color changes from green to whatever color is naturally in the leaf. then wind, rain, or whatever depending on the part of the country or even a micro climate change can make them drop. every tree is individual even if the same species, so the general health of the tree probably has a lot to do with it. some trees hold leaves longer. some Oaks will hold dried leaves even through winter until the new growth starts to come on.

lafite
10-20-2012, 05:39 PM
ultimately, I was wondering if the overall health of the tree was a major factor or not. Seeing some of the majestic maples with full crown just starting to drop as opposed to my "sugar bush" down the street. :D