PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Winches

Dill
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I think this might be the year I finally buy a winch. There seem to be very few around used, so I'm leaning towards new.
What do you have, what do you like about it, whats not good?
Right now I think its between a Fransgard v4000 and a Norse 350 from Labonville, but I'm taking suggestions.
Really I would like a skidder but I can't justify buying one.

Brokermike
10-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I have a fransgard and I love it. Easy to work on, buy parts for, etc.

Dill
10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Which model Mike?

mvdeerxing
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a Farmi Skidding Winch Picked it up new in 2010. Have put it through the paces, no problems to date. 165' of 1/2" cable, very solid winch.

Brokermike
10-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I have a V2000

Shaun
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a farmi, very easy to get parts. It is a 351, a little undersized for my tractor, a couple of snatch blocks and I'm yanking things out of 40 foot ravines. Just not as fast as I would like sometimes, Then I have to remember it's not a SKIDDER.

wiam
10-17-2012, 07:20 PM
5967I have a Tajfun. Got it at OESCO in MA near Greenfield. I cant remember model but pulls 8800lbs. I like it because the brake sets automatically and does not need to winch in to release the brake. I have had enough tension on a farmi so you could not winch it in to release the brake. I have had this winch for close to 10 years and it will drag my tractor that weighs around 10,000lbs. Only thing I have had to do is replace the cable. Not the cables fault, I have used it hard.

wiam
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Another thing I have done is added a receiver for a hitch so I can move a trailer without removing winch.

Shaun
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I do think some models come with a reciever built in. I agree with the earlier post, I also added a reciever as to not have to unhook the trailer. The winch pretty much stays on the tarctor year round except for food plot panting time. Also so much safer when you get trees hung up, rather than cutting piece by piece until it is on your head. I bought some snatch blocks from amazon, not the best quality, but seem to work for a few years. The best thing about it is they are very easy to maintain, rather than another machine with batteries, oil, ETC.

lakeview maple
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I have a Igland on my John Deere 790,it has 8800 lb pull and its a beast,I welded a hitch onto it to haul my wood trailer .Ive never had a problem with it to date and I bought it new in Rutland for $2700 with 3 chokers and 3 slides.

maple flats
10-19-2012, 05:06 AM
I used to sell Fransgard before I sold my business, and can still order them. They have come out with some new sizes since I dealt them (sold out in '99) At that time they had 3 sizes, a V2800, a V4000 and a V6500, each model # relates to the max pull in KG. The V4000 was by far the most popular (4000x2.2#=8800 # pull) Don't buy on the pull you want, buy based on your tractor size. A V4000 was for 40-80 HP. It isn't as much for the HP pull, but the tractor size and resultant weight. We only once sold a V4000 to a guy with a 38HP JD 4x4 w/REL and lots of additional front weight. He claimed it did well. We used a V4000 on a 70 HP Belarus W FEL and it did well, but as heavy as that was the winch dragged the tractor at times unless we backed the winch blade against a stump.
Make sure you follow the operating instructions, and don't try pulling heavy loads in transport unless you pull from the lower mounted pulley. You could pull your tractor apart if you do. Your top link is not built to handle such stress.
We used to pull whole trees out, 14-18" stems 2 and 3 at a time, after minor limbing.

Rhino
10-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Have a farmi winch and they really are a rock solid piece of equipment, In winter we have it on our 4 wheel drive duetz allis for logging, in fall we put it on our 40 horse kubota and use it to pull large boat lifts out of the area lakes. For years this winch pulled and skidded over 100 cords every winter without any breakdowns. The only thing right now is the cable is really starting to show it's age. I am sure the other brands are just as good, really there isn't many working parts to them that can fail (bearings, chain, sprocket) would be the first i would guess. You will love a winch, after a day of working with it you will become very clever on how to use it. Widow makers are no problem with safety after hitch up because you pull it down far away from the action. good luck with the purchase!

sap retreiver
10-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Hey Dill. My boss has a fransgaurd and its awesome. very easy to use and your back will love it! I imagine he'd love to show it off. Oh ya these have the drum brake so you dont get your cable tangled, wanna say it the v4000. very happy with it. give a shout if you want more info, he's into maple also

tuckermtn
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
highly reccomend looking in to a self-releasing snack block (pulley)

you can get them at places like Windy Ridge in Tamworth, NH or I think they have them at Labonville.

excellent tool for pulling odd angled hitches and for redirecting hitches that get stuck on stumps and boulders.

3 pt hitch forestry winches are designed with long cables to allow the tractor to stay on good ground and take the cable to the tree rather than a skidder which has a short cable because you take the skidder to the tree.

Dill- we teach a workshop ever spring on using a farm tractor in forestry. combination of how to do it safely and live demos of 3pt hitch firewood processors, chippers, stump grinders, etc. Most likely next one will be in May in the New Hampton area.

leavralph
10-20-2012, 07:19 PM
I have a Fransgard V4000 I run off my 40 hp New Holland works well very strong and dependable.