PDA

View Full Version : Enamel Clam pot

sap seeker
10-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Bear with me gentlemen - very small flat pan producer, 1-5 gal. per yr. Always looking for a way to quicken the finishing process and create less mess.:D They make a double pan, larger one on top, smaller one underneath with spigot. Thoughts were to filter directly off my evap. pan into the bigger of the two pots. Finish in that and then filter into the smaller pot with spigot. While that was going on, wash out the bigger pot, fill with water, heat, and set the spigot pot on top and bottle serving two purposes: 1) height needed to place bottles under 2) even heat to maintain syrup temp. (no hot spots, new nitre, etc.)

For those people that have these to use for there intended purpose, A) do you think the spigot is larger enough for syrup to flow) B) is there a lip on the bigger of the two pans that will accept the spigot pan? (Can't tell from pics with cover on) Could be pretty tricky balancing act otherwise, guess could always add some sort of tabs otherwise.

As a general question to all, is there a problem with using an enamel pot in the first place? (I've read about the other materials)

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Cake O' Maple
10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Well, I can't help you much, but I can tell you from experience that enamel pots burn easily. Had an enamel stock/soup pot, and brothy soup was the only thing that didn't burn.

I've never seen the clam pots you're referring to; why is there a spigot on the bottom pot?

sap seeker
10-18-2012, 05:02 AM
I've never seen the clam pots you're referring to; why is there a spigot on the bottom pot?

Heat water for you to rinse your clams in.

SeanD
10-18-2012, 05:36 AM
It sounds like an idea worth trying, though you should try to find one in a store first and try to reverse them. If there is no lip, I wouldn't bother any further. If they do work out give it a whirl. Those pots are not that expensive.

The ones I've seen have the spigot on the smaller of the two pots. I don't know how small they are, but it might be big enough for the amounts you are doing.

The spigot might be a pain in the neck because they are not instant on/off. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you have to make a few turns to get any meaningful flow out of it and start turning it off way before the syrup gets to the top of the jug.

I don't think enamel will be an issue for you. I've had one for years that I first used in brewing beer and I've also used it to can and finish syrup, etc. The key is to not chip off the enamel coating. Rust will form where you expose the steel underneath. The only thing I'm wondering as I write this is how thick the steel is. Mine is a really heavy and sturdy pot. Some of those steamer pots you are talking about can be on the thinner, flimsier side.

Either way, it's not a huge investment and in the end if it doesn't work for syrup, you can make steamers and invite us all over.

Good luck,
Sean

happy thoughts
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM

What sap seeker said except after streaming the clams over it, it's clam broth left in the bottom pot. The top pot usually has holes like a colander. The broth can also be used in other recipes like chowder. Oh my, I'm hungry:)

Sap seeker- Unchipped enamel is safe to use. The enamel is basically powdered glass that is fired and fused to metal. It may chip and crack with hard or frequent use. In that case whatever the metal the pot is made from will be exposed and might affect flavor if say for instance it's made from steel that will rust. If your syrup isn't in there too long a few chips shouldn't make much difference but I'd want to make sure your top pot doesn't have perforations or it isn't going to work like you're thinking.

sap seeker
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Sean D - agree about the lip on both pots regarding worth doing

Happy Thoughts - it never dawned on me the bigger pot might be perferrated, it don't believe it is but certainly worth an email to the company to check out.

Thanks folks.:cool:

happy thoughts
10-18-2012, 07:36 AM
It's definitely worth checking. I have a small 2 pot clam steamer without a spigot. The top pot is perforated on the bottom.

Have you thought of using an old coffee maker/dispenser? The big ones like they use at church halls and banquets. It sounds like more than a few people use them here and like them. I remember at least a few threads on this board about them. You can sometimes find them real cheap at thrift stores or yard sales and you still have plenty of time to look for one. Just a thought....

sap seeker
10-18-2012, 09:45 AM
You were absolutely correct H.T., thanks for bringing that possibility to my attention. I have read threads on here about those that have had success with the coffee urn, perhaps the way to go in my case although I'm not completely dismissing the clam deal yet. Depending how "perferrated" the pot is, a cone filter might hang nicely and filter into the spigot portion for bottling. I rarely have enough to finish more than a gal. at a time, I would guess the bottom section holds atleast that much.:confused: Right now, I'm thinking the cofee urn might be the better of the two ideas given my situation, thanks for your input.

happy thoughts
10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Depending how "perferrated" the pot is, a cone filter might hang nicely and filter into the spigot portion for bottling.

Now that could work !:D.

I'm not sure this image link will work but if it does it shows what the top pan probably looks like on the bottom. This is exactly what my steamer looks like.

http://dyn-images.hsni.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/120994_019?$pd300$ (http://dyn-images.hsni.com/is/image/HomeShoppingNetwork/120994_019?$pd300$ )

Cake O' Maple
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
The only thing I'm wondering as I write this is how thick the steel is. Mine is a really heavy and sturdy pot. Some of those steamer pots you are talking about can be on the thinner, flimsier side.

That's a good point, Sean, my pot was pretty thin, so it may well have been the thin metal causing the burning, not the enamel.

SeanD
10-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Oh, man. I didn't even think of the perforated top pan. It's a good thing to check before pouring the syrup in!

That said, if you still go that route and use the top stainer as something to hold your filter, that part will work, but now your heat is right against your syrup. That's basically how a real canner works. The indirect heating with the steam was the best part of your original idea. So now you are back to basically a stock pot with a spigot. You can get aluminum and stainless pots like that designed for turkey friers.

I wonder if you could find some kind of "sister" pot that could be used for the steam and the smaller pot could still seat itself into the top of it. The manufacturer probably makes the same pot without the holes for spaghetti and it is sold right next to the steamer on the shelf. If you could get that lucky, you'd be set. Otherwise it might not be worth all the hunting. I can just see the people looking at you as you bring your own pot to a store and try fitting it into all the pots they have then walk out again.

Let us know how it goes. You have a good DIY idea.

Sean

gmcooper
10-19-2012, 07:27 PM
I maybe going out on a limb here but if your going to by some type of pan why not buy a SS one made to boil sap in?

happy thoughts
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I maybe going out on a limb here but if your going to by some type of pan why not buy a SS one made to boil sap in?

Then where's he going to get his clam broth?:lol: J/K

That's really not a bad idea except a SS pot with a spigot costs at least double and he's only producing a few gallons a year like me.

Sap seeker- I was thinking about the convenience of that spigot and was wondering if something might be fashioned from a plastic food grade bucket and a spigot recycled from a box of wine. I'm the original Ms. Yankee Repurposer :rolleyes: I've reused those spigots at least once before on a flat sided concrete mixing pan to use under a hot water tank. Those wine spigots are usually 2 pieces (one that fits outside and one inside) and some come apart. I don't know how well it would work on a round container but since the cost is minimal it might be worth a try. Maybe with a little food grade silicone for a better seal or find a four sided flat food grade container.

SeanD
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Backyarders can't always throw big money into the hobby (yet). Besides the DIY part of this is half the fun for some people. It is for me. But you are right each project has a point because of time, money or effort (to each his own) when it is wiser just to write a check out to Leader.

Sean

SeanD
10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Sap seeker- I was thinking about the convenience of that spigot and was wondering if something might be fashioned from a plastic food grade bucket and a spigot recycled from a box of wine.

Yeah, but what about all that wine he has to get rid of first... Ah, I see now. Yes, very good idea. A spigot from a wine box and a pot for making steamers. This is all coming together nicely. Did I mention some people have used BBQ smokers for finishing syrup? I think when you get working on this we should all get together to help. See how much fun DIY stuff can be?

Sean

happy thoughts
10-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah, but what about all that wine he has to get rid of first...
Sean

LOL! I had an even better thought... though not nearly as fun! What about using an insulated beverage container? I just picked up a used 5 gal coleman beverage container for about $3 that I plan to use for keeping sap cold. New they're under $30 at the evil Walmart. But insulated jugs with spigots also come in smaller sizes. The insulation should keep your syrup hot especially if you preheat it with boiling water.

scratch that- I just looked up temp ratings for coolers like this. Most are not recommended for hot liquids above 140F. I'd assume that would also apply to food grade buckets. Back to the drawing board....

sap seeker
10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I've enjoyed all the banter on this topic, like someone pointed out already, half the fun for us small guys is the hodge podge approach, after all, anybody can make syrup on real equipment!:lol: For me it truly is just a hobby with the kids, we just give it all away. It really is pretty amazing the great syrup that can be made even with a minimal approach.:cool:

sg5054
10-30-2012, 11:43 AM
A little further down the the thread there was mention of using a coffee urn. Has anyone used or is using one?

sap seeker
10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
A little further down the the thread there was mention of using a coffee urn. Has anyone used or is using one?

There is a ton of info. on using them if you use the search function, seems to be some love and some don't. That is the route I ended up going, bought one on Amazon for $25 s.s. w/ free shipping. Should be here today, hoping it heats to bottling temp. Plan on using in conjunction with cones filters even though not a big fan.