PDA

View Full Version : 2 Vacuum Pumps?

syrup2nv
10-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Would it be possible to run a vacuum pump in-line (up the hill)? Hook it to the dry-line, with a moisture trap for safety? Anybody tried this?

red maples
10-17-2012, 09:02 AM
so you would be running 2 pumps on the same system ? it makes sense and might work if its hooked up to the dry line I guess. as long as the 2 vac pumps aren't working against each other.

DrTimPerkins
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Would it be possible to run a vacuum pump in-line (up the hill)? Hook it to the dry-line, with a moisture trap for safety? Anybody tried this?

Could it work hooking two pumps together....maybe. However it is sort of like trying to bolt two motorcycles together to make a car. Hard to get it to work correctly. I suspect you'd end up spending a lot of time tinkering with it. Not something you want to be doing during the season. You'd be better off getting one appropriately sized pump and putting it in the proper location and spending your precious time during the season finding and fixing leaks.

As far as connecting the vacuum pump uphill (instead of at the bottom). Again, it could work, but there are some good reasons you might not want to do it.

rayi
10-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Not on this topic completely but how far can you pump sap on nearly flat land. I have to go through some nasty low ground to get sap out

DrTimPerkins
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Not on this topic completely but how far can you pump sap on nearly flat land. I have to go through some nasty low ground to get sap out

This has been addressed at least a few times. Do a search. If you still can't find it, start a new thread with this question.

upsmapleman
10-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Running 2 pumps together is no problem. You need a check valve in each line so that they are isolated from each other. I do it and it is more common than some think. I only run 2 at peak times of the day. Having 2 pumps it made more sense that spending a lot for 1 big one and most of the time 1 is enough and you are not using so much electric.

Thad Blaisdell
10-19-2012, 06:35 AM

Dont do it. It is pulling air in the wrong direction. It will screw up the sap flow in the conductor. Run a dedicated line to the bottom, hitch it to the releaser, and then wet/dry out. If you need more of an explanation just pm me.

farmall h
10-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Run two pumps....dedicate two mainlines...buy another relaeser.