PDA

View Full Version : New Dry and Wetline made of Fusable HDPE | Versapipe FUSION

IPL Technical Support
10-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello folks,

Here's a new product that we presented in St-Albans, VT early this year. I just wanted to post a briefing of what this product can make you save compared to PVC or even regular LDPE mainline. Produced by IPL Versaprofiles and distributed by CDL only.

this link will display a larger picture: http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u590/Versaprofiles/Capture_zps33003a86.png

gmcooper
10-15-2012, 03:01 PM
looks interesting, how are connections made? Glued fittings? The big question what is the cost per foot 2" and 3"
Mark

rchase
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
i know poeple who have fused charter plastics mainline. they where putting on a demo at one of the mapleramas a couple years ago. what is the difference between your product and charters?

IPL Technical Support
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Mark,

The connections are made from molten plastics. No glue. Heating the plastic saddle and the pipe is enough to weld the two parts together. You will still need stainless joints to connect the Dry/Wet Lines to your mainline.

You'll have to validate the price with your CDL rep, but I can give you around $0.89/FT for the 1-1/2", $0.95/FT for the 2" and $1.90/FT for the 3". It's less expensive than regular LDPE mainline and better than PVC. We think that in the next three years, every installation using Dry and Wet line will be made with Versapipe FUSION.

rchase,

I heard that a couple of other pipe suppliers sold that system in the past. I can tell you that they were probably using polyethylene, but I do not know much. What I can say is that IPL Versaprofiles is using regulated High Density PolyEthylene (HDPE) resin that is currently specified in other applications that require fusion/welding. Our product is tested to support 145PSI (security factor is x4). There's also the same good UV package included in these pipes to give you a 10-years warranty (it will last longer depending of the maple farm exposition to UVs).

lew
10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
I am assuming there is a special gadget that one would have to buy in order to fuse the pipe together. What is the cost of that contraption.

GeneralStark
10-16-2012, 04:50 PM
I saw this demonstrated at the CDL St. Albans open house in April. They did have a special "contraption" for fusing the pipe but I didn't get to see it being used. Also, the salesman I asked about how the pipe is threaded to accept the stainless fittings was not certain, but he seemed to think there was a tool for that as well.

IPL Technical Support
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM
lew, GeneralStark,

The tools (heating devices) used to FUSE the HDPE pipe can be rent or bought from your CDL rep/installer. CDL and Versaprofiles (formerly IPL) will recommend (if not oblige) you to first use an approved FUSION technician. You need to at least know how work this "contraption" and practice before taking the responsability of a full installation. After a couple of tries with a 6ft sample, you should be able to do it yourself.

The heating device can be mounted on a quad equipped with a generator for mobile fusion like mainline connections, but the usual way to do it is to open 2 windows and pre-fuse a couple of lengths in the sugar house!