PDA

View Full Version : Gripple vs Strainer

sapman
10-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Just wondering the preference of those who have used both. I like how the gripple leaves very little "bump" in the line. And I have had strainers break for no apparent reason other than they failed. Not sure if gripples can be tightened as much.

Thanks,
Tim

Dennis H.
10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
I assume that you are talking about the mainline wire?

I use both gripples and the ratchet tensioners. I put a gripple at the far end when I pull the wire and then as I walk back I put a side tie here and there to get the wire into about the right place and then when I get back to the other end tree I put in the ratchet tensioner.

I have found that if I pull the wire too tight I can pull the wire right out of the gripple. I use the medium size for 12.5 high tensile wire.
Now what I do to prevent that is I take the loose end of wire coming out of the gripple and bend it back on itself towards the tree that the wire goes around.
Once I have started doing this I have not had any trouble with them.

The price for a gripple is slightly higher than a ratchet tensioner but for the shear speed of putting them in and all I need to carry to the end tree when pulling the wire is the gripple and short length of pipe. it is well worth the little extra cost.

Maplewalnut
10-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I use all ratchet tensionsers and never had one pull out or snap. I only use them on my 'down hill tree' and ratchet the mainline tight off the ground BEFORE i side tie. Its as tight as I have seen in any other wooods and works for me. I take the chance of a blow down snapping my mainline for fiddle tight lines year in and year old without any summer snaking.