PDA

View Full Version : Double-tensioining mainline

sapman
10-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I know some of you install a strainer/gripple at both ends of your mainline wires. I haven't done this before, but am considering it. I assume this reduces the # of tiebacks/posts you need, or at least reduces the distance the tiebacks need to be tightened to keep the line tight? My mains are very flat, so the more tension I can get, the better.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Tim,
I have tried using the tensioners on one end, both ends and without them. They help with initial tightening but the side ties are what really makes things "banjo string tight" I seldom use them anymore unless there is a situation with a very short wire and limited possibilities for side ties.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
10-15-2012, 05:36 AM
I have to agree with Thompson's. I don't use ratchets anymore. I did use them and switched to just side-ties. U definately can get the wire tighter with side ties. Especially on level ground, you will need to keep it extra tight. If there aren't enough trees to side tie to, put in a few posts. With side ties, you can make sure the high tensile wire is always pulled away from the trees close to the line, so it doesn't touch and grow into the tree.

Maplewalnut
10-15-2012, 11:57 AM
First off I have my mainline somewhat sectioned. Longest continouous stretch I have is 400 feet. I ultimately have spots where two mainlines joiin at different end trees to facilitate a gradual corner or re-direction. Because of this I only have tensioners on the down hill tree because I have had situations where the wire gets spooled on the tensioner but the tube pops up as it is getting re tightened.

sapman
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
I've gone without tensioners on some, too. I'm trying to take the zigzags out of my mains, so trying to keep most sideties on one side of the pipe. Hence trying to get as much tension before that step.