PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer? who's got one?

sap retreiver
10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Didn't know if many of you guys had a tow behind dump trailer? Like the down easters but have been looking at the maxxum brand. There cheaper but still look rugged. Any input would be great. Mostly for hauling wood and maybe sap tanks when and if i get that big. Thanks, Brian

Sunday Rock Maple
10-09-2012, 07:23 PM
We have an older dual axle one with no brand ID on it. It works very well but will not dump a full load of sand. We know that and so we just half load it. My advice would be to compare pumps before buying.

Shaun
10-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a 5x8 and love it for hauling firewood from the woods. I just back up where I stack it raise the trailer 1/2 way and start stacking. You do not have to bend over or climb in the trailer to get the wood out. You might want to look at the tailgate mounting to make sure it is solid on the unit you are looking at. Battery also seems to last a long time.

Dennis H.
10-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I have a 6x10 dump 8K rated made by Cam Superline. We use it to haul coal mostly and when it is time to get firewood for that also. I can carry 2 1/2 ton of rice in it and have no issues what so ever. We tow it behind an Expedition and it tows like a dream, hardly even know it is back there expect when it is completely full and going over a mountain.
Here is the link to the place where we bought it they have others to look at. It will help you to see other brands and sizes.
http://www.trailersuperstore.com/cardealership/cam-superline-6-x-10-dump-trailer-8k-with-spreader-gate

There also are above wheels mounted dumps. They tend to be narrower than what I got, because the axles are completely under the dumpbed. I wanted something that kept the center of gravity low so that is why I got the kind that has fender on the outside of the dumpbed.

You will find that most of the dump trailers in any given price range will be the same. There will be just little things that you may find are nicer things than other brands.

Thad Blaisdell
10-10-2012, 04:41 AM
We have an older dual axle one with no brand ID on it. It works very well but will not dump a full load of sand. We know that and so we just half load it. My advice would be to compare pumps before buying.

I have a down easter and love it. But as far as the dumping goes, it is not the pump it is the angle of the piston. They just dont have enough angle to get it started when the trailer is loaded heavy. They do make trailers with a scissor lift they may be better for heavier loads, I dont know this for sure.

maple maniac65
10-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Didn't know if many of you guys had a tow behind dump trailer? Like the down easters but have been looking at the maxxum brand. There cheaper but still look rugged. Any input would be great. Mostly for hauling wood and maybe sap tanks when and if i get that big. Thanks, Brian

If you are looking for a dump trailer thee is one parked at 66 Greenwood St in Whitefiled NH and belongs to Claude Roy. Not sure of price or size.

sap retreiver
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, maple maniac any more details? thas a bit of a hike but the right size, brand and price might be worth it. Thanks again

wiam
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I saw some in East St Johnsbury, VT today. I think Maxxum. $3999 for smaller $5999 for larger one. This was driving by. I do not know size.

sap retreiver
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks again guys. I went to look at the maxxums closer and saw the hd version, cam superline and yes it waas more expensive but these things are rugged as all could be! Well worth the extra i paid. And if any of you are looking for a trailer of any sort I would highly reccomend checking out Alton motorsports. THE nicest folks I've dealt with buying anything! they have just about everything and more. trailers, mowers, snowplows, and classic cars well worth checking out. they also have a website. Thanks again, Brian