PDA

View Full Version : Maple job at a school

bairdswift
10-03-2012, 05:50 AM
I have found a job where the new employe would be in charge of this school maple and hay production. I've grown up doing both and have been working on a farm raising dairy heifers and putting up tons and tons of bailed hay. But when it comes to my maple experience its mostly family and on my own so I don't know how to sell myself as a good maple producer. How could I fill then in on my experience before they meet me? Any thoughts what are some things I could tell them on my cover letter or could I put in in my resume?

twitch
10-03-2012, 08:19 AM
get the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual and read it twice.

maplecrest
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
i would look the operation over. see evap, r/o overall set up. most imporatant is the woods. sap run to sugar house? need to truck? have vac? i would see what i am getting into first !! hay? equipment up to date? need alot of repair? then write resume.

Thad Blaisdell
10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
First thing I would do is find out how big of an operation they have, maybe take a tour, I would probably highlight any areas you have experience in that they are currently not using, ie. vacuum, ro, new spouts, auto draw off etc, they are going to want you to teach the kids the more tech savy items, and you may be able to suggest going high tech if they are not currently.... also look at filtering.

vtmapleman
10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Whatever you do don't try to BS them - if you have minimum experience in sugaring be honest on what you have done...it won't take an experience interviewer long to see thru the smoke..