PDA

View Full Version : Beet Pulp and squirrels

SandMan
09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Ok, before you laugh out loud and ban me from any future post, I just gotta ask.... So a friend of mine tells me that one of the maple producers up in his area actually puts "Beet Pulp" into a bag and the squirrels then eat it.....as the story goes, the squirrel then seeks out large amounts of water, swells and well...puff...no more squirrel. My understanding is that Beet Pulp will swell to many times the original size once water is added. I also know that it is fed to horses to add fiber......BUT, has anyone really had experience with using Beet Pulp to rid themselves of the local squirrel population....seriously!

Bucket Head
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
No, I hav'nt heard of that, but if it works there will be thousands of producers looking for beet pulp! Are just squirrels attracted to this stuff?

Steve

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Never tried it on squirells, but it does swell alot when water is added. Horses love it most of the time. Pretty sure its cheap too. A 50lb bag of it is about twice the size of a normal bag of grain because its so light. Gives me an idea..... Neighbor might be missing a few scoops of beet pulp tomarrow..

Thad Blaisdell
10-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Instant potatoe is said to do the same thing. For me once the snow is on the ground, havahart traps and whole peanuts and presto you have a squirrel, also a rat trap screwed to a tree with peanut butter is great for the little rodents.

Mogli
10-10-2012, 07:14 AM
it should work as I feed beet pulp to the landlords horses and she told me of the danger of feeding dry beet pulp to any animal

wiam
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I have fed 2-3lb dry beet pulp to dairy cows with no problems. I would not try it free choice.

KenWP
10-20-2012, 07:49 AM
We add beet pulp to dairy cow rations when showing them at the fairs to make their tummys look rounder. There is a formula for how much to give and if you get it wrong the cow stands in the show ring and bellows because she is too full. Guys have also used soda pop and couple years ago one guy killed his cow off in the show ring.