PDA

View Full Version : Sugar samples in the fall?

syrup2nv
09-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm interested in tapping a new bush for the 2013 season! It is a big bush! Around 8000ish taps. Before I invest 80-$100000, I would like to take some sugar samples. My question is, how accurate would the samples be if taken in the fall? Has anybody tried this? To the best of my knowledge it has never been tapped. Alot of old growth trees along with alot full crown hedgerow trees. Dr Perkins??

DrTimPerkins
09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
The testing will be as accurate as your instrument and methods allow. However, the results you get may not be a real good indicator of how sweet the sap will be in the spring. Typically fall sap is less sweet than spring sap. You will be able to get some indication of the relative sweetness of one tree in the stand versus another though.

English River Maple
10-08-2012, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=syrup2nv;193670]I'm interested in tapping a new bush for the 2013 season! It is a big bush! Around 8000ish taps. Before I invest 80-$100000, I would like to take some sugar samples. My question is, how accurate would the samples be if taken in the fall? Has anybody tried this? QUOTE]

Just an FYI, I tested a few in the fall of 2011, some red maples and some sugar maples and the tap holes weeped somewhat in the spring...not as much as a freshly tapped hole but I left those trees out for the spring.

spud
11-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I just tapped a few very large maple trees yesterday. I am interested in seeing how much sap I will get in the next two weeks or so. I am using buckets so whatever amount I get I plan to times it by 2 1/2 because that is what I feel I would have gotten using high vacuum. Yesterday's sap ran well and tested at 1.8% I know if it was under high vacuum the sugar would be less most likely. Next week is supposed to have very cold nights and days in the mid to high 40s. I am very excited to see what the results are and I plan to post it on Trader. Is anyone else as crazy as me and trying this?

Spud

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
11-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I tapped a bucket the otherday and have had freezing nights and warm days... Not one drop of sap so far this week, but I guess thats why I dont tap in the fall.

spud
11-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I was able to get 8 gallons of sap today and it tested at 1.8% I may have to get the turkey fryer out real soon.:)

Spud

spud
11-18-2012, 03:58 PM
I got 4 more gallons today. I am finding that the small trees (10 inch) are not running much at all. Although the large maples (36 inch) are running about 2 gallons per tap per day. Sap is still testing at 1.8%

Spud