PDA

View Full Version : Organic Maple Syrup $100 per Quart and more!

delivron
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
This producer has come up with a creative to earn $100 per quart or more.
http://rougemaple.com/products/maple-tree-adoption

Will the maple syrup I receive really be from my tree?

We say your tree’s maple syrup but because a maple tree’s production may vary, we actually derive the maple syrup with your tree’s brothers and sisters to give us enough sap to produce the maple syrup as efficiently as possible. This way we are able to guarantee you will receive the same amount of organic maple syrup every year.

Check out the FAQ page that will answer most of your questions.
http://rougemaple.com/pages/faq

There is no need to sell syrup cheap just come up with a clever marketing plan. These folks sure have. If the producer is successful you can't complain there is nothing illegal about his plan he just has a better one then you have!

wdchuck
09-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Yes , it may indeed be a clever marketing plan- but how much have they actually sold?

SDdave
09-24-2012, 06:33 AM
... we actually derive the maple syrup with your tree’s brothers and sisters to give us enough sap to produce the maple syrup as efficiently as possible.

That's nice that they don't spilt up any families, I look for the same thing when I get ground beef. Very clever marketing.

SDdave

sutphenj
09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
From the site: "Organic maple syrup is better tasting and healthier but more expensive to produce" Outside of the expense for certification what else makes it more costly to produce??

spud
09-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Hey if they can make $100.00 per quart then I'm happy for them. I would have to question just how many quarts are being sold at that price. The whole thing sounds a little too yuppy'ish for me. If the adopted tree should die do I get a death certificate? I think I will stick to bulk prices. Although if someone wants to give me $250.00 I will name one of my trees after them (name tag and all)

Spud

GeneralStark
09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I saw something about this in the local paper. There's an individual doing this here in VT. They are selling syrup they acquire from a few Mad River Valley producers, and it is their trees that are being "adopted". It is being pushed in NYC, Boston and other cities. I wonder if they tell the folks that adopt the trees that they are sucking their tree's, and their brother's and sister's sap out of them under vacuum?

Perhaps this is the way of the future for the retail maple producer.:confused:

red maples
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
just from reading that and looking at those pictures. I was ready to take out my credit card right then and there. You know some rich well todo family will pay top dollar for this. Although we all know they are being taken!!! so good for them if they can sell it. shame on the buyer who just got reamed!!!

wdchuck
09-25-2012, 05:34 AM
I dunno.......I've never made the assumption that the wealthy are that gullible....I mean, they must be smart enough to at least maintain there wealth.

spud
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM
The people that would buy into this nonsense are the same people that have bought stars in the sky. These people just need to say NO to drugs.

Spud

jhd504
09-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I always check out the syrup that is for sale at any market that i visit. At one of the markets, I did run across some "organic" maple syrup. The pricing on the "organic" stuff was about $2 more for a pint and $3-$4 more for a quart than the other pure maple syrup that was on the shelf.

I told my wife the same thing about people who are hooked on "organic" items - they are willing to pay more just because of the word "organic".

GeneralStark
09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I always check out the syrup that is for sale at any market that i visit. At one of the markets, I did run across some "organic" maple syrup. The pricing on the "organic" stuff was about $2 more for a pint and $3-$4 more for a quart than the other pure maple syrup that was on the shelf.

I told my wife the same thing about people who are hooked on "organic" items - they are willing to pay more just because of the word "organic".

I recently had a woman inquire at the farmer's market as to whether or not my maple products were certified organic and I said no. She said ok I am not interested then, and then she suggested that I get certified so as to expand my customer base. I then said that I do use organic practices, but that was not good enough. She walked off before I had the chance to ask her if she actually knows what it means for a sugaring operation to be certified organic. I think most people don't have a clue that it really has little to do with the actual product and more to do with forest management and certain equipment choices. It seems that the term "organic" is really the key for the folks that are looking for that.

red maples
09-25-2012, 03:21 PM
its not that rich people are gulable its just they have the money so they assume because its in a sexy bottle, a sexy label, and it cost alot, then it must be the best. just like an audi or a mercedes that are over $100K. I fine in an old pick-up!!!

wdchuck
09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Not tryin to pick a fight, but thats what I'd call gullible!...lol

maplecrest
09-26-2012, 11:38 AM
the people that buy organic are going to buy organic. what ever the cost. price is not thought about. but here is some thing to think about. there are producers out there that are selling organic that are not certified. had a couple called about syrup i checked there web site. said they were selling certified organic syrup.they were buying and packing, reselling. i am not certified. in the end i would not sell to them, i did not want to be involved in any way.

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
yeah, I know of several "organic producers" who are certified themselves but buy sap from non certified bushes....just sayin'