PDA

View Full Version : Web cam

rgmaple
09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Has anyone used a web cam to check on vacuum pumps and tanks that are over 2 miles away? I want to, and wonder if this would work with my computer.

lew
09-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I had one of my highschool techno geek helpers get me the parts to build one this coming year. we tested it here at the house and it worked quite well. It will be able to turn the vacuum on and off, run a vacuum rellief valve on the releaser during shut down, be able to see the vacuum gauge the sap level in the tank and the sap flowing into the releaser, see the counter that willl be installed on the double mechanical releaser so that I can estimate the volume of sap in the tank. I'm just waiting to install it at the woods until it's needed because I need a wireless cellular connection to send the info back to my computer or cell phone. It's some kind of gizmo that my techno geek tells me to wait and buy at the last minute because it will be cheaper.

rgmaple
09-23-2012, 05:44 AM
I want it to work so I can see when to turn off the vacuum pump when the the temp is freezing. Upper elevations often are different than at the sugarhouse. Just want a live picture of what's happening at that end of the woods. Don't need it to turn off the pumps, I'll do that myself.

sapman
09-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I had one of my highschool techno geek helpers get me the parts to build one this coming year. we tested it here at the house and it worked quite well. It will be able to turn the vacuum on and off, run a vacuum rellief valve on the releaser during shut down, be able to see the vacuum gauge the sap level in the tank and the sap flowing into the releaser, see the counter that willl be installed on the double mechanical releaser so that I can estimate the volume of sap in the tank. I'm just waiting to install it at the woods until it's needed because I need a wireless cellular connection to send the info back to my computer or cell phone. It's some kind of gizmo that my techno geek tells me to wait and buy at the last minute because it will be cheaper.

Lew, can you give an idea how much you'll have invested in this system? I need something like this, as my bush is 10 miles from home, and do have cell service there.

Thanks

lew
09-23-2012, 09:12 AM
If memory serves me, right now I have about $300 invested. The wireless box will be about $80. $50 set charge for AT&T adn $30 per month charge for use. Just turn it on and off when you need to so you are not paying all year. So for around $400 plus usage fees I should be all set. I am in the same boat, my big woods is 10 miles from sugarhouse. Those trips at 2 AM to see if it has froze up yet are over.

meadster02
09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
it would be alot cheaper to just buy a thermostat switch for a cooler that turns on when the temp rises and turns off when the temp drops below a certain level if you have an electric service at your vac pump

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-23-2012, 06:09 PM
it would be alot cheaper to just buy a thermostat switch for a cooler that turns on when the temp rises and turns off when the temp drops below a certain level if you have an electric service at your vac pump

I would have to look through some papers but I think a Johnson Control A-19 T-stat control work really well for turning on and off you vac pump. You set the temp you want your pump to turn on and then there are a few choices for the differential like 3,5,7,10 or 15 deg. below your start temp to shut off unit.

lew
09-24-2012, 05:02 AM
Using a thermostat is an option, but there are often times when the top of the hill is still running when the lower half isn't or vice versa. Also with a camera you can see what your vacuum level and sap levels are, thereby letting you know if you need to get your butt (or someone else's) up in the woods. thermostats also don't allow you to "play" with turning your pump on and off on days when it is 28 degrees out but very sunny and the sap is flowing. If the thermostat is set for 28 then it is on, whether or not it is sunny or cloudy. Not trying to shoot down the thermostat idea, I've used one in the past, and think the camera and remote switch idea is more versatile and informative.

wiam
09-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I do not know the controllers used, but I know of set ups that turn vac on/off based on how long between pump cycles of releaser.(this will only work with electric releaser)

sapman
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
If memory serves me, right now I have about $300 invested. The wireless box will be about $80. $50 set charge for AT&T adn $30 per month charge for use. Just turn it on and off when you need to so you are not paying all year. So for around $400 plus usage fees I should be all set. I am in the same boat, my big woods is 10 miles from sugarhouse. Those trips at 2 AM to see if it has froze up yet are over.

I hear you. My issue is tank running over. With the transducer hopefully working next season, I shouldn't ever have to worry about shutting down. Just let her idle down till next thaw.