PDA

View Full Version : How high can sap be sucked up vertically?

Bruce L
09-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I am wondering how high you can suck sap up vertically?I am not talking sap ladder,but rather we are setting up a 1.25" dry line to a receiver in a distant bush,then Bruce from Leader said to run a 1" sap line from the tank at that receiver back to the main pump house where we can open a ball valve to draw the sap over as needed.The problem is the other bush is on the far side of a snowmobile trail,so I would either have to have the line cross under the trail(which is where we have had trouble with freeze-ups) or well above the trail to miss the snowmobiles and grooming machines
Thanks in advance for your help,Bruce

maple flats
09-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I have 1 sap ladder that lifts 9', another of 8' (on 2 separate mains). You can also double up sap ladders, in series to get extra height but you must realize that such lift uses lots of vacuum. You must have the vac level and enough CFM to support the sap ladder(s) or things will not work well. A sap ladder costs lots of vacuum.

Sunday Rock Maple
09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Lapierre has a video on a reverse slope releaser --- looks like about 20' with 25" a vacuum.

http://www.sugaringequipment.elapierre.com/default_en.asp?no=113#video

I'd like to try one (or something similar from Leader) this year.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-23-2012, 05:34 AM
a couple years ago at Leader open house the the vender who had his vacuum products there was talking about 20' at one time.

PATheron
09-23-2012, 06:03 AM
You can lift it one foot for every inch of vacuum. It will probly lift it over the trail if you have a good size vac pump. If you go under the trail if you have pitch so it will go down hill run a second line under the trail like a dry line. That fixes it sometimes. Just go to the culvert or whatever and y it and run two under there and y it back to gether. If you use the vac to empty the tank just remember when its empty big leak. Potential backflow etc. Theron

ennismaple
09-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Bruce,

We have a 2-spider ladder that lifts sap from 100 taps over a road. The mainline is about 3 feet off the ground and then it lifts 8 ft. This is plenty high enough to get tractors, trucks and off-road vehicles underneath.

Marty