PDA

View Full Version : Hooking main line wire to trees

philkasza
09-21-2012, 06:56 AM
What is the best way to hook main line wire to trees? If you rap the wire around the tree won't it grow into the tree, or don't you worry about that? Any ideas appreceated.
thanks
Philip

whalems
09-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I use a piece of 3/4 mainline and run the wire thru it so you don't girdle the tree.

wiam
09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I use a piece of 3/4 mainline and run the wire thru it so you don't girdle the tree.

I do this also. In theory this should get moved up or down the tree every few years.:emb::emb:

ennismaple
09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
We put scrap pieces of 2x4 between the wire and the tree to keep it from cutting into the bark.

Bruce L
09-21-2012, 03:50 PM
We take scraps of wood,limbs etc,to hold the wire out from the trees,but however when Bruce from Leader was up in the summer he said this would lead to decay as it would hold moisture against the tree

SandMan
09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
The 3/4 inch mainline with the side wire has worked well for me...you can adjust it each year.

Sunday Rock Maple
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
If you're talking about anchoring the ends, we use a 3/8" lag that has a plastic insulator on it (Kenco Fencing I think). For side ties we slide a piece of tubing over the part of the wire that wraps around the tree --- this can be moved up or down as the tree grows.

red maples
09-22-2012, 07:42 AM
for side ties I use blue tubing insert wire. for end lines I pick a crappy tree what ever it is pine etc. or a really big non maple tree that even if it died I could just use it for firewood. and just screw in a J hook. connect the rachet tensioner via wire. most important if you go this route, make sure you use something 250lb or bigger anything small will just bend!!!

sorry ment to say eye hooks....I don't use J-hooks.

AdirondackSap
09-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I do the same as Red Maples but i use eye hooks. It is important that you dont skimp out on the eye hook gets the biggest ones possible or they bend and break because of the pressure. Then i take a 3 foot long piece of 12.5 gauge wire double loopd it around the eye hook that gives the wire double strength. Then take a rachet and connect to double loop and eye hook. Take your mainline 12.5 gauge wire and connect to ratchet and crank the heck out of it till you can get it tight anymore. I guarentee you wont have any sags in your mainline and you shouldnt have to you side ties or very few.

SandMan
09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
On end ties, I use a piece of 3/4 line, run the wire through it, and then back through a "grapple" lock. I then tighten it with a grapple tension tool. I was taught this technique by "Harding Hill Farms" and like it. Have stayed with it... Less fittings hanging from the tree and nothing screwed in!!!!!

syrup2nv
09-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I do the same as Red Maples but i use eye hooks. It is important that you dont skimp out on the eye hook gets the biggest ones possible or they bend and break because of the pressure. Then i take a 3 foot long piece of 12.5 gauge wire double loopd it around the eye hook that gives the wire double strength. Then take a rachet and connect to double loop and eye hook. Take your mainline 12.5 gauge wire and connect to ratchet and crank the heck out of it till you can get it tight anymore. I guarentee you wont have any sags in your mainline and you shouldnt have to you side ties or very few.

Side ties are used for a reason! I would rather fix a couple of broken side ties after a tree falls across my mainline than have to fix, splice and re-string the whole line when it snaps from that tree! If that happens during the season, where is your sap going? On the ground! Mine will still make it to the tank!

AdirondackSap
09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
The way i was taught side ties are good if your having a hard time maintaining slope. I used to use side ties when i was at a 2 percent slope to keep the slope from sags and put posts up under the lines to keep them from sagging. I find this more work then just putting up high tension wire very tight straight so your having your mainline straight so you dont restrict flow in the mainline. I do use side ties just not as many. All i was saying with my method you can space the ratchets every 1000ft and use less side ties. I know my method works because i had a few trees fall on my mainline the other day from storms and when i cut the trees off the mainline popped right back into place. To each his own Plus its not a big deal to me if the line does break this is my main sugar bush and i will constantly be out there checking for vac leaks and everything else in maintaining the sugar lines.

Sugarbear
10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
For wrap arounds I have been using used hydraulic hose. The wire braided in the hose helps keep the mainline or side tie wire from cutting into the tree. We have a farm so we accumulate a few blown hoses every year. When i am at the hose shop getting a new hose made I am digging thru their trash looking for suitable hoses.