PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Sap Tank Question

JBurkett
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
A sugar maker in VT has a 2700 gallon fiberglass sap tank for sale $1700. He said it was made by Small Brothers. It looks just like the SS round bottom tanks Leader and Lapierre make. It has the tube steel frame but the liner is fiberglass rather than SS. The gentleman I talked to said it is made just like a fiberglass bathtub.

Anyone used or seen one of these? I wonder if the liner will break down over time? Good buy?

Thanks

waysidemaple
09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I saw that tank too. I'm not sure about it. Heck of a good price if you can get it home without spending to much. I'm staying away just because it's not stainless. Anyone else have any input? Is there such thing as food grade fiberglass or is this kinda like a galvanized tank?

Scott

Brad W Wi
09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I had a chance to buy a fiber glass tank a few years back. I turned it down as I was worried about tiny bit of fiber glass coming off and mixing with the syrup. I do filter my syrup with a press but it still did not set right with me.

Super Sapper
09-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Fiberglass is used in the food industry. I am not sure if it needs to be made with a certain resin or coating but it is used.

maplecrest
09-21-2012, 07:46 AM
if it is not a clean smooth surface like ss . that is easily cleaned dont buy it. i would also keep out of sun light. i have a 1200 fiber i have used for 20 years that looks like new and cleans with a spray hose. need to get in and scrub at end of season when sap goes bad.

GeneralStark
09-21-2012, 07:59 AM
We are using some fiberglass tanks that were originally used for cheese making. Each is about 800 Gallons and one is for sap and the other for permeate. The permeate one is a bit rough and needed some patching. Both have smooth interior surfaces that are easy to clean, but the fiberglass has de-laminated from the plywood shell in some areas.

There are food grade resins but most are tough to source and require sprayers to apply, but bee keeper suppliers usually have a food grade epoxy that is relatively affordable.