PDA

View Full Version : adding threaded fittings

bison1973
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a stainless finishing pan that has one fitting on it for a valve. It's in the wrong corner for use in my building. I want to add another fitting and one for a thermometer.

My question: where do you find these female theaded fittings to be welded onto the pan? and what are they called?

Thanks!

maple flats
09-19-2012, 04:52 AM
They are half couplings. I have soldered copper fittings on an old soldered pan too. If you have the ability however, welded is better. A Greenlee punch is best to make the holes for the fittings. They make a real neat hole. You start by drilling a small hole thru, centered where the bigger hole will center. Then you assemble the Greenlee with the bolt thru the hole you drilled, tighten the nut and a perfect hole will result. Some have also used a step drill but I never tried that method. The greenlee's are expensive, you might want to take the pan to a sheet metal shop to get the holes made and the go home and weld the fittings in place.

lpakiz
09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Tim,
Go to www.Fastenal.com and look under SS plumbing products. They have the fittings and you can get them ordered into the Marshfield store.

moeh1
09-19-2012, 05:35 PM
I've got plumbingsupplyDOTcom bookmarked,they seem less expensive than fastenal.

lpakiz
09-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Maybe I should have added--they sell to me (and i am not a large buyer) for around 40% of the list price on their website catalog...

rookie
09-21-2012, 09:26 PM
if you can't find what you need on the other sites, try http://www.mcmaster.com/ , thats where i ordered threaded fittings from for my pan. if they don't have it, you don't need it.