PDA

View Full Version : How to clean out a old oil reclaimer???

mrnorthshore
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Any ideals on how to clean out a old oil reclaimer that looks like its never been cleaned before? This is new to me last year and the reclaimer looks like it has about 2-3 inches of thick build up on the bottom of it.( the drain valve wont even work) Any Ideas on how to remove the build up? I have tried useing diesel. I am thinking of getting the angle grinder and cutting the top off and rewelding it, does anyone know a easyer way? Thanks so much!!

maple flats
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Most come apart in the center. gently scrape the gook, then use a parts cleaner, generally most parts washers use kerosene. After it is clean, re assemble and use fresh oil.

mrnorthshore
09-18-2012, 10:06 PM
yeah, mine is all one peice, this is one from a dairy pump masport. Thanks

maple flats
09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Can you pump kerosene recirculating thru it? This should cut the sludge given enough time. Then drain the kero and fill with fresh vacuum pump oil to the prescribed fill level.

mrnorthshore
09-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Thats a great Idea!! Do you think it will just plug up the oil filter? I have never recirculated kerosene or diesel through the bearings before Is this ok to do?? I have just poured it in the intake, sorry vac is all new to me as of last spring still learning. Thanks paul

nymapleguy607
09-20-2012, 05:17 AM
I would try putting the kerosene in your reclaimer and put it someplace nice and sunny and let the sun help warm the outside of the tank, dont try heating with a heat source. Time will be your friend. I cleaned the sludge out of my delaval pump by filling with diesel fuel and letting is sit for a few days. I would bet trying to recirculate the kerosene would push that sludge into your bearings.

maple flats
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
The recirculate I speak of IS NOT through the vacuum pump. Use the pump on a parts cleaner (mechanics have them at their shops or garages). This is what you pump trhough. The systems have a filter designed to handle the gook. Don't run it through the vacuum pump until the reclaimer is clean inside.

mrnorthshore
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys, I will try letting it soak for a few days and see if this helps. Thanks again, Paul

franklin067
10-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Try to clean with the kerosene oil..i think that is best way