PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum pump questions??????

miller maple
09-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I found this vaccum pump in my grampas old milk barn and figured it should work for maple anyone that knows a thing about this unit I would be glad to know about it k5908

farmall h
09-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Miller maple...very strong reliable vacuum pump. Our operation has two, one for parts and one in service. Just be sure your regulator works and do not run over 18" vac on your gauge...they get hot over long periods of time. I run ours for twelve hours straight Also be sure the oiler works...I believe they require 3-4 drips a minute (says on oiler). One more thing: be sure you have a moisture trap system in line just in case your releaser floods. That is a Massport and a big one too! They produce great HG and recover well if you have leaks in your tubing. I see you have the electric oiler which is a nice option (if it works). Do you have the tank that goes with it or is it rotted...most of them did. Good luck!

miller maple
09-12-2012, 10:19 AM
thanks for the imput, the tank is still good i believe its not that old, it was used untill 1993 and was working good when they stoped using it, it is in really good shape to, another thing i was thinking about running it with a gas motor because i do not have electric in the sugar bush, would this unit run on a small gas motor thanks.

wiam
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Gas will work but there are many drawbacks. How far to electricity?

ennismaple
09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Put it where you have electricity and then run a vacuum line from the pump to the releaser. If its not that far you'll spend less on the vacuum line than you will on gas over a couple year period. Plus - you can run it longer with less worry so you'll get more sap out of it too.

miller maple
09-12-2012, 01:06 PM
well the thing is i dont have electric close its probly a half mile from were i am planning on putting the vacuum pump

wiam
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Gas will work, it just takes a little babysitting. I ran my sp-22 on a 5.5 hp briggs intek for a season and a half. Now I have 1600' of 1.5 pipe and electric. Gas engines can be finicky. There were times when I started it up, went back to check something in an hour and muffler was cold. Other problem for me was when sap would run all night I would have to check pump. Now I just leave switch on and go to bed.

maple flats
09-13-2012, 04:57 AM
I ran 2 on 6.5 HP Hondas with aux. 4.5 gal fuel tanks. They ran between 14-18 hrs (the 14 hr was at higher vac). Gas gets expensive and must be refueled often but if you have a way to get vac there from where there is electric try to do it, the saved hassle is worth it. However gas works well if you need to. Personally I stay away from Briggs for an important job like vacuum.

tuckermtn
09-13-2012, 08:38 AM
I have had good luck with the subaru robin engines- I have a 4.5hp and a 6.5hp running SP11s
cheap from http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

miller maple
09-13-2012, 09:44 AM
do you know what the the rpm's are on those motors

maple flats
09-13-2012, 04:11 PM
My pumps both run in the mid range. I found the design RPM and actually used a tack to test the pumps in operation. Then I just listened to the engines and try to run then at or just under the design speed. Another, maybe even better way is to test the system on operation. When you have the vac level you are trying to attain, with the engine running, slow it slightly and check the gauges, close and out near the end. Keep slowing the engine until you start to go below the desired level. Then at that point I would step it back up a little. Most dairy pumps will be best off if run as slow as you can to get the vac. Remember, dairy pumps were designed to give their vacuum level at 15". Some types of pumps can only go slightly higher, others can get more. The main issue is pump temperature, when a pump gets TOO hot it has bad things that start to happen. One thing to keep in mind, when a pump is made they seal some smoke in them, when the smoke escapes the pumps are no longer good.

farmall h
09-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Another route you could go Millermaple is to purchase a 1 1/2 HP electric motor from Tractor Supply (use the same pulley from the 220 v motor) and rely on a gas genertor to power the pump....since you need to use gas anyway. Although, if the Massport pump already has a 110 v motor than all you need is the generator.....just some options to consider.