tuckermtn
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
that looks like a 3/4inch bit...and he must have gone 3+ inches deep...ouch

at least he put a plug in it...

lastwoodsman
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
that looks like a 3/4inch bit...and he must have gone 3+ inches deep...ouch

at least he put a plug in it...

Yea and did that tree ever run, wonder what country that is?

SDdave
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Yea and did that tree ever run, wonder what sountry that is?

That isn't how you tap a tree?:emb:

tuckermtn
09-11-2012, 05:23 AM
looked like Russia to me

spud
09-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Holy Crap did you see the amount of sap coming out of that hole? Sorry Dr. Tim but I'm not buying your new spouts unless you sell them in two inch. From now on I'm tapping my trees with an ice auger. :lol:

Spud

red maples
09-11-2012, 09:18 AM
sounded almost belgium. I am guessing their trees rarely live to get that big!!!

lastwoodsman
09-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Chec republic maybe? One of the baltic states

farmall h
09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Was that a Maple or Russian Birch? Looks like it is done just a refreshing sweet drink. I don't believe the ol' boy taps over one tree. :)

sjdoyon
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
It's Russian comrades.

DrTimPerkins
09-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Holy Crap did you see the amount of sap coming out of that hole? Sorry Dr. Tim but I'm not buying your new spouts unless you sell them in two inch. From now on I'm tapping my trees with an ice auger.

Sap flow in birches arises due to root pressure. In general, when it starts, it just keeps running (unless the temperature gets below freezing and stops it). Freezing doesn't stimulate flow (by causing water uptake) like it does in maple trees. So for spouts in maples....at least under vacuum, size doesn't matter (how many times have you heard that one Spud?).

DrTimPerkins
09-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Looks like it is done just a refreshing sweet drink. I don't believe the ol' boy taps over one tree. :)

Yes, in most places where birch is tapped, it is used as a (probiotic) tonic, rather than boiled down into syrup.

lastwoodsman
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Fun to see other parts of the planet and what they are doing. Where can I order 100 of those spouts,

Woodsman

spud
09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Sap flow in birches arises due to root pressure. In general, when it starts, it just keeps running (unless the temperature gets below freezing and stops it). Freezing doesn't stimulate flow (by causing water uptake) like it does in maple trees. So for spouts in maples....at least under vacuum, size doesn't matter (how many times have you heard that one Spud?).

That is funny Doc. Ya I have heard that a time or two. Hey Dr. Tim what is the chances of me getting some of those new CV2 this year? Leader never gets back to me on it and I was wondering if they will be selling them this year? Do the big boy's with all the money get first dibs on these? Thanks.

Spud

pa farmer
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
What did they say???????????? I know it was Russian but what kind of tree was it?????????? After about three years I bet the tree would die. Like the story of the guy that wanted some permission's so he cut the tree down to get them because he was to lazy to get a ladder to climb the tree.

lastwoodsman
09-12-2012, 06:08 AM
The closest I could guess from the video would be betula alleghaniensis or yellow birch, hard to tell for sure from the video.
I am not familiar with the flora of the region. I am not even sure where in Russia it is.. I would love to sit down and chat with the old guy. Even if I couldn't understtand him.

michiganfarmer2
10-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I talked to a guy at my sharpening shop wo was from checkslovakia. He said they tapped trees and drank the sap.