PDA

View Full Version : anynword on the new grading system?

JSEDLAK
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the new grading system? Does it look like a go for 2013?

delivron
09-06-2012, 07:59 AM
I would suggest we may have a better picture of this at the IMSI/NAMSC October meeting in CT. VT the key state is allowing their Commissioner of Agriculture make the final decision for VT. I would expect a decision this month. I would suspect the ruling would be in effect for 2014. Note: While it looks like a simple decision it appears to be very political and has been a long time in coming.

red maples
09-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I did hear something similiar to that and that it will probably get pushed back to 2014. There is alot of politics involved with anything and this is no exception. I am sure we will know in the up coming months. I guess you could also take into consideration that all the grading kits both temp. and perm. ones are still going to have to be made I know thre was some test ones done but not sure if there is a full production to date.

Dill
09-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I can't wait til the winter meetings when people start screaming that "This is the first I've heard of a new grading system and why would I support this change".

wiam
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
What change?:lol:............... Oh the one that has been in the works for about 10 years.

rookie
09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
my opinion, if I wanted grades, I'd go back to school. I make syrup, and its delicious. I'd give it an A every time. sometimes its darker sometimes its lighter. I know its different for you association guys...

red maples
09-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Actually nothing to do the assoc. Its state regs. that we need to go by. If you sell it youre suppose to grade it. would say alot of people don't even know the difference in grades. That is my #1 question when people stop by for syrup, What are the grades and what do they mean?

rookie
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
well i sell some (not very much) mostly gifts and personal use. I don't grade it. I guess if i get bigger I'll have to start....

JSEDLAK
09-08-2012, 12:04 AM
When you buy a grading kit from boscoms is it good for all the states, i know different states have different names.

Thompson's Tree Farm
09-08-2012, 04:50 AM
The temporary grading kit is the same for all states...just some of the names for different color gradations are different.

red maples
09-08-2012, 05:08 AM
yeah they are I think $16-17 from bascom's I use that only because its cheaper. the perm kits seem very expensive for a few pieces of plastic and a metal rack!!! I know they are more accurate but the lines very close!!! Once the new regs are in place I may take the dive!!!

delivron
09-08-2012, 05:19 AM
For the uninformed here is a chart showing the changes.

Note there are changes in Medium "A", Dark "A" and Dark "B".

You might also might want to reference the official document from IMSI
http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/projects--services.html

red maples
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the link good stuff on there. I Send in a question asking about the grading change so we'll see what I get for a response.

red maples
09-09-2012, 10:19 AM
This is the reply I got. So I guess 2014 it is.

Dear Brad:

2013 maple production season was certainly a goal of the IMSI. However,based on status reports as well as progress to-date in the different government departments in both Canada and the United States, it is clear to me that the government approval process for the proposed changes will extend well into 2013 . Federal and State/Provincial approvals must be obtained before the changes can be adopted . Once the approvals have been obtained, the IMSI will communicate this through a variety of venues ,including the IMSI website, so that maple producers,maple packers , colour classification kit suppliers and other stakeholders are well informed and can prepare for the changes . Supply companies for new colour classification kits will not invest beyond prototype kits until we obtain the green light from government regulatory agencies .

I trust that this is the information you were seeking .

Thank you for your interest in the IMSI’s Standard Grades initiative .

Regards, Dave

Dave Chapeskie,R.P.F,

Executive Director

International Maple Syrup Institute,

5072 Rock St;RR#4,

Spencerville,ON

KOE 1X0

Telephone: 613-658-2329

Facsimile: 877-683-7241