PDA

View Full Version : smoke stack install on corugated roofing??

Ryan Mahar
09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Howdy all. ABout to install new stainless roof jack on roof tomorrow. I have a corugated roof and the roof jack from Leader is a flat 24" X 24" flange with the pipe in the middle. I was planning on just laying the roof jack right down on top of the roof and caulk the areas where the corugations leave big gaps (with fire rated caulk of course). Does this sound right??? thanks for any advice!!! ryan

wiam
09-02-2012, 06:57 AM
I added an extra piece of roofing above mine so that it came above the jack on the top side. It sticks up but it keeps the water out.

RC Maple
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Adding the piece of roofing over the top of the jack is good advice. Mine is just to the side of the ridge cap and I slid the top edge of the roof jack under the ridge cap. All that water laying against a caulked seem with nowhere to go wouldn't be good. Good luck!

maple flats
09-02-2012, 09:51 AM
When i was in the outdoor furnace business, I used to get a local tin shop make the roof jacks. I would take a piece of the tin, or a tracing of the edge, and identify exactly where the stack would center in the rib pattern. He then made a jack to custom fit. I however have not yet done this at my sugarhouse. I just have the hole with a Chinese hat style flange around the pipe just above the roof. This works fairly well but the proper jack would certainly be better. I think since you have the jack from Leader, you should just cap the upper edge with a piece of roofing. caulk first.

Ryan Mahar
09-02-2012, 01:04 PM
thanks I have it installed, it looks great and should be water tight!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!